Convent of the Sacred Heart (New York City)
|Convent of the Sacred Heart
Sacratissimi Cordis Conventus
|1 East 91st Street
New York City, New York 10128
|Type||Private, Day, College-prep|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Society of the Sacred Heart|
|Head of school||Joseph J. Ciancaglini|
|Head of Upper School||Margaret Savino|
|Chaplain||Rev. John Kamas|
|Grades||PK — 12|
|Enrollment||670 (approx.) (2008)|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
|Athletics||-11 interscholastic sports
-Colin Hope, Physical Education Department Chair
|Athletics conference||AAIS, NYSAISAA|
|Publication||Zenith (literary magazine)|
|Newspaper||Spirit of 91st Street|
|Tuition||-Pre-kindergarten — US$28,500
-Junior kindergarten — $31,575
-Grades kindergarten through 12 — $42,810
|Head of Middle School||Catherine Hubacz|
|Head of Lower School||Patricia Hult|
|Upper School Dean of Studies||Will Jennings|
|Upper School Dean of Students||Amanda Codina|
|Director of Admissions||Elizabeth Santini|
Convent of the Sacred Heart is an independent Roman Catholic all-girl school in the Manhattan borough of New York City. Teaching from pre-kindergarten all the way through to twelfth grade, it is located on Manhattan's Upper East Side at East 91st Street and Fifth Avenue.
The school is housed in the former Otto H. Kahn House and James A. Burden House, both of which are New York City-Designated Landmarks. It is one of the most selective and expensive schools in Manhattan.
Founded in 1881 by the Society of the Sacred Heart, a Roman Catholic congregation established in France in 1800, the school is New York City’s oldest private school for girls. The school was originally housed in a Manhattan brownstone on Madison Avenue at East 54th Street.
By the 1930s, the school had outgrown its Madison Avenue space and moved into the Kahn mansion. In 1940, the Society acquired the Burden mansion next door.
Since the 1980s, the school has experienced much growth and academic progress..
Membership and accreditation
In addition to being a member of the Society of the Sacred Heart and a part of the global Network of Sacred Heart Schools, a worldwide network of over 150 schools committed to the mission of a Sacred Heart education, the school is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
It is operated independently as part of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools.
Sacred Heart is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS). It is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the Independent Schools Association of Greater New York, the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the European Council of International Schools, the International Schools Association and the Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States.
Sacred Heart is located in two historic mansions in the Carnegie Hill Historic District on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, at 1 East 91st Street and 7 East 91st Street, next to Central Park/5th Avenue and across the street from the Cooper-Hewitt Museum.
- 1 East 91st Street houses grade 5 through grade 12 (opened in 1934)
- 7 East 91st Street houses pre-kindergarten through grade 4 (opened in 1940)
In September 2008, The Convent of the Sacred Heart purchased a facility located at 406 East 91st Street which will become a new sports center. As of September 2014 the athletic center is still open.
Within the buildings at 1 East 91st Street and 7 East 91st Street there are:
- 4 Science Labs
- 2 Gymnasiums and a Fitness Room
- 4 Performance Spaces
- Photography Darkroom Studio
- 2 rooftop playgrounds
- Interactive Projectors in all classrooms for grades K-12
- 3 Libraries and Virtual Library Access
- Wireless Internet Access
Clubs and common-interest organizations
The school offers a range of clubs and activities for student participation including the Habitat for Humanity International, Amnesty International, student council and forensics (public speaking).
- There are 40+ after-school activities available every fall, winter and spring to Lower School students.
- There are 40+ clubs and activities available to Middle School students.
- There are 30+ clubs and activities available to Upper School students.
Over 40% of the sophomore class study abroad on exchange for 3 to 10 weeks to other schools in the Sacred Heart network including schools in France and in Spain for 10 weeks, and to Australia, Italy, Ireland, Canada and Taiwan for 3 weeks.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2009)|
The school participates in eleven interscholastic sports disciplines.
Enrollment, tuition and fees
Tuition and Payment for the 2011-2012 School Year:
Pre-Kindergarten: $28,500 Junior Kindergarten: $31,575 Kindergarten - Grade 12 : $42,810
- Average enrollment of students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12: 685
- The Lower School includes pre-kindergarten, junior kindergarten, kindergarten and grades 1 through 4
- The Middle School consists of grades 5 through 8
- The Upper School is made up of grades 9 through 12
- Students of color: 28%
- Average grade size (K-12): 50
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 7:1
- Stefani Germanotta (Lady Gaga), singer
- Paris Hilton, heiress and socialite
- Nicky Hilton Rothschild, heiress and socialite
*Lourdes Benedicto, actress
- Jordana Brewster, actress and model
- Dorothy Donnelly, actress and playwrite
- Magee Hickey, reporter
- Caroline Kennedy, attorney and diplomat
- Ethel Skakel Kennedy, human rights campaigner
- Joan Bennett Kennedy, socialite
- Christa Miller, actress
- Minnie Mortimer, socialite
- Lia Neal, Olympic swimmer
- Emily Rutherfurd, actress
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver, human rights activist
- Alix Smith, photographer
- Jean Kennedy Smith, diplomat
- Frederica von Stade, singer
- Elaine Stritch, actress and singer
- Gloria Morgan Vanderbilt, heiress and fashion designer
- Charlotte Selina Wood, actress
- Karen Akers, actress and singer
- Harriet Sylvia Ann Howland Green Wilks, socialite and heiress
- Leah McSweeney, fashion designer
In popular culture
Film and theatre
Falling for Grace (2006)
Literature and television
- "Administration/Board". Convent of the Sacred Heart. Undated. Accessed 2009-10-10.
- "Administration, Faculty and Staff". Convent of the Sacred Heart. Undated. Accessed 2009-10-10.
- Unknown author (Undated).[unreliable source?]"Trivia for Scrubs (2001)". Internet Movie Database. Accessed 2009-10-10.