Copeland (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Copeland in Cumbria.
Location of Cumbria within England.
|Electorate||63,696 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Jamie Reed (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
In 1983, the existing Whitehaven constituency was renamed Copeland; Jack Cunningham, who had previously been the member for Whitehaven, stood for and won the seat. Its boundaries remained unchanged, being co-terminous with the local government district of Copeland.
History of boundaries
Parliament accepted the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies by making slight changes to this constituency for the 2010 general election, namely the addition of the wards:
- Crummock, Dalton, Derwent Valley and Keswick in the Allerdale District.
As such seat grew beyond all the district of Copeland, much of which is the Lake District to take the three wards and the small town of Keswick also in the District, with a greater electorate than the three very expansive wards combined. This saw Keswick fall in the seat for the first time, which was the main topic in public consultations regarding the changes.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Danny Gallagher||1,368||3.5||−6.7|
|Liberal Democrat||Frank Hollowell||4,365||10.2||−3.7|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Frank Hollowell||3,880||11.5||+0.8|
|English Democrats||Alan Mossop||662||2.0||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Mark Gayler||3,732||10.7||+1.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Roger C. Putnam||3,814||9.2||+1.6|
|ProLife Alliance||Gerard Hanratty||389||0.9||N/A|
|Conservative||Philip Glyn Davies||19,889||43.4||+0.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Roger Charles Putnam||3,508||7.6||−1.5|
|Natural Law||James Raeburn Sinton||148||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Conservative||Ashton Reginald Marson Toft||19,105||43.0|
|Social Democratic||Edward Thomas Colgan||4,052||9.1|
|Green||Robert Anthony Gibson||319||0.7|
|Conservative||Veronica Barbara Carstairs Wilson||16,919||39.9|
|Social Democratic||John Beasley||6,722||15.9|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 5)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Copeland". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Copeland, BBC News
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.