Fylde (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Fylde in Lancashire for the 2010 general election.
Location of Lancashire within England.
|Electorate||66,504 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Kirkham, Wesham, Lytham St Annes, Freckleton|
|Member of parliament||Mark Menzies (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Fylde North and Fylde South|
|Type of constituency||County constituency|
|Replaced by||Fylde North and Fylde South|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
- 1 History
- 2 Boundaries
- 3 Members of Parliament
- 4 Elections 1983-2015
- 5 Elections 1918-1945
- 6 See also
- 7 References
The Fylde constituency was originally formed for the 1918 general election, but was abolished for the 1950 general election, when it was split into Fylde North and Fylde South. For the 1983 General Election those two constituencies were merged to form a new Fylde constituency.
The seat was reduced in the boundary review leading to the United Kingdom general election, 2010, losing most of its elements from the Borough of Wyre and the City of Preston to the new seat of Wyre and Preston North.
1918-1945: The Urban Districts of Fleetwood, Kirkham, Longridge, Poulton-le-Fylde, Thornton, and Walton-le-Dale, the Rural District of Preston, and part of the Rural District of Fylde.
1945-1950: Part of the County Borough of Preston; the Municipal Borough of Fleetwood; the Urban Districts of Kirkham, Longridge, Poulton-le-Fylde, Thornton Cleveleys, Walton-le-Dale, and part of Fulwood; and, the Rural District of Fylde, and parts of Blackburn, and Preston.
1983-1997: The Borough of Fylde, and the Borough of Preston ward of Preston Rural West.
1997-2010: The Borough of Fylde, the Borough of Preston wards of Ingol and Preston Rural West, and the Borough of Wyre ward of Great Eccleston.
2010–present: The Borough of Fylde, and the City of Preston ward of Lea.
The constituency has three main population centres, namely Kirkham/Wesham, Lytham St Annes and Freckleton. Kirkham, Wesham and Freckleton are small towns with some light industrial development and have a considerable Labour vote, but Lytham and St Annes are comfortable seaside resorts, favoured by families and retired couples, and along with the more rural parts of the seat, are safely Conservative.
Members of Parliament
|1918||Wilfrid William Ashley||Conservative|
|1938 by-election||Claude Lancaster||Conservative|
|1950||constituency split into Fylde North and Fylde South|
MPs since 1983
|1983||Sir Edward Gardner||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Freddie van Mierlo||1,623||3.7||−18.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Bill Winlow||9,641||22.1||+6.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Bill Winlow||7,748||17.0||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrat||John Begg||6,599||14.8||+0.1|
Elections in the 1990s
|Labour||John L. Garrett||16,480||31.65||+13.1|
|Liberal Democrat||William L. Greene||7,609||14.61||−6.1|
|Referendum||David J. Britton||2,372||4.56||N/A|
|Natural Law||Terry B. Kerwin||163||0.31||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Nigel Cryer||9,648||19.3||−4.9|
|Natural Law||Peter Leadbetter||239||0.5||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|Restore Capital Punishment||Harold Fowler||405||0.8||−1.2|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Election in the 1940s
|Common Wealth||Karl Edwin Heath||1,784||2.89||n/a|
Elections in the 1930s
Elections in the 1920s
|Liberal||Robert Parkinson Tomlinson||13,230||44.5||n/a|
Elections in the 1910s
|Labour||William John Tout||7,400||n/a|
- endorsed by Coalition Government
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Craig, F.W.S., ed. (1972). Boundaries of parliamentary constituencies 1985-1972. Chichester, Sussex: Political Reference Publications. ISBN 0-900178-09-4.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "F" [self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Fylde". BBC News Online. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- The Liberal Year Book, 1930