From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|History of Japan|
Eiroku (永禄?) was a Japanese era name (年号, nengō,?, lit. "year name") after Kōji and before Genki. This period spanned the years from February 1558 through April 1570. The reigning emperor was Ōgimachi-tennō (正親町天皇?).
Change of era
- 1558 Eiroku gannen (永禄元年?): The era name was changed to mark the enthronement of Emperor Ōgimachi. The previous era ended and a new one commenced in Kōji 4, on the 28th day of the 2nd month.
Events of the Eiroku era
- June 12, 1560 (Eiroku 3, 19th day of the 5th month): Battle of Okehazama.
- 1560 (Eiroku 3, 1st month): Ōgimachi was proclaimed emperor. The ceremonies of coronation were made possible because they were paid for by Mōri Motonari and others.
- 1560 (Eiroku 3, 5th month): Imagawa Yoshimoto led the armies of the province of Suruga against the Owari; and at the Battle of Okehazama (桶狭間の戦い, Okehazama-no-tatakai?), his forces fought against Oda Nobunaga; but Imagawa's army was vainquished and he did not survive. Then Nobunaga took over the province of Owari. Tokugawa Ieyasu took over the province of Mikawa and made himself master of Okazaki Castle (岡崎城, Okazaki-jō?).
- 1564 (Eiroku 7): Nobunaga completed the conquest of Mino; and he built a new castle at Gifu.
- 1568 (Eiroku 11, 2nd month): Ashikaga Yoshihide became shogun.
- 1568 (Eiroku 11, 9th month): Shogun Yoshihide died from a contagious disease.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Eiroku" in Japan encyclopedia, p. 172; n.b., Louis-Frédéric is pseudonym of Louis-Frédéric Nussbaum, see Deutsche Nationalbibliothek Authority File.
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du Japon, p. 382-388.
- Titsingh, p. 383.
- Titsingh, p. 385.
- Titsingh, p. 386.
- Nussbaum, Louis Frédéric and Käthe Roth. (2005). Japan Encyclopedia. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-01753-5; OCLC 48943301
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Nihon Odai Ichiran; ou, Annales des empereurs du Japon. Paris: Royal Asiatic Society, Oriental Translation Fund of Great Britain and Ireland. OCLC 5850691.
- National Diet Library, "The Japanese Calendar" -- historical overview plus illustrative images from library's collection
|Era or nengō