The Extragear is a collection of KDE applications that are associated with the KDE project. Those apps are not part of the main KDE distribution for various reasons, but they are still part of the project. This gives them higher visibility to Translators and Documentation Writers.
There are multiple possible reasons for an application to not be in one of the KDE modules, for example:
- duplication of functionality
- very specialized (like KSMSSend)
However the main reason is that applications in Extragear are released independently of the main KDE packages (kdelibs, kdebase etc.) which allows their maintainers to pursue their own development schedule.
List of software
This is a partial list of the applications currently in KDE Extragear.
- Amarok, an audio player
- digiKam, an advanced digital photo management application
- Filelight, a graphical diskspace analyzer
- K3b, a CD and DVD burning application
- Kaffeine, a full-featured multimedia and DVB player
- kdetv, a program to watch television transmission on the desktop
- KPhotoAlbum, KDE Photo Album.
- Kile, a LaTeX editor
- KMLDonkey, a frontend for MLDonkey (a powerful P2P file sharing tool)
- Konversation, an Internet Relay Chat client
- KTorrent, a BitTorrent client
- Yakuake, a quake-style drop-down console emulator.
- KColorEdit, a Palette Editor.
- KMPlayer, a video player.
- KFTPGrabber, a FTP client.
- Kuickshow, an image viewer.
- KPlayer, a multimedia player.
- KIconEdit, an icon editor.