Dolphin (file manager)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Original author(s)||Peter Penz|
22.12.3 / 2 March 2023
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, macOS, Windows|
Dolphin is a free and open source file manager included in the KDE Applications bundle. Dolphin became the default file manager of the KDE Plasma desktop environments in the fourth iteration, termed KDE Software Compilation 4. It can also be optionally installed on K Desktop Environment 3. It replaces Konqueror as the default file manager for KDE SC 4, but Konqueror can still be used as an alternative file manager.
Under previous K Desktop Environment versions, Konqueror had served both as the default file manager and web browser. However, for many years users have been critical of Konqueror as being too complex for simple file navigation. As a response, the two functions were divided into two separate applications. Under KDE SC 4, Dolphin was streamlined for browsing files, while sharing as much code as possible with Konqueror. Konqueror continues to be developed primarily as a web browser.
In 2014, work started on porting Dolphin to KDE Frameworks 5. This is now complete and a Frameworks 5-based version was released as part of KDE Applications 15.08 in August 2015.
Dolphin and K Desktop Environment 3
As development of the KDE SC 4 version was underway, the K Desktop Environment 3 version of Dolphin was discontinued. However, the program continues to be unofficially available for K Desktop Environment 3 under the slightly modified name of “D3lphin”. D3lphin contains many bugfixes and a new sidebar and is maintained by the TDE project.
- Breadcrumb navigation bar – each part of the URL is clickable
- 3 view modes (Icons, Details and Compact), remembered for each folder (configurable)
- File Previews
- Split views (for copying and moving files)
- Network transparency – using KDE’s KIO slaves
- Undo/Redo functionality
- Tabbed navigation
- Renaming of a variable number of selected items in one step
- Baloo (file indexer) integration, which includes
- File search
- Tagging, rating and commenting files
- Places bar which also integrates with the Kickoff launcher menu's “Computer” tab
- Sorting and grouping of files by name, size, type and others
- Comparison of file managers
- GNOME Files - GNOME counterpart
- Total Commander - Windows 3rd party file manager
- ^ Peter Penz (2012-06-26). "Dolphin 2.1". Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ^ "Releases 22.12.3 2023-03-02". 2 March 2023. Retrieved 5 March 2023.
- ^ "4.0 Released". KDE. 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- ^ "(KDE) Revision 633622". The KDE Source Repository. 14 February 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- ^ "KDE SC 4.14 wird 4er-Reihe abschließen" (in German). 2014-07-10.
- ^ "KDE Ships KDE Applications 15.08.0". KDE. 2015-08-19.
- Official website
- The Dolphin Handbook
- Dolphin user wiki
- Binary downloads for Windows and Mac (scroll down to Dolphin)