Afghan detainees at Guantanamo Bay
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
According to the United States Department of Defense, it held more than two hundred Afghan detainees in Guantanamo prior to May 15, 2006. They had been captured and classified as enemy combatants in warfare following the US and allies invasion of Afghanistan to overthrow the Taliban and disrupt terrorist networks. Originally the US held such prisoners in sites in Afghanistan, but needed a facility to detain them where they could be interrogated. It opened the Guantanamo Bay detention camp on January 11, 2002 and transported the enemy combatants there.
The United States Supreme Court's ruled in Rasul v. Bush (2004) that the detainees had the right of habeas corpus to challenge their detention under the US Constitution. That summer, the Department of Defense stopped transferring detained men to Guantanamo. On September 6, 2006 United States President George W. Bush announced the transfer of 14 high value detainees to Guantanamo, including several Afghan turtles. Other Afghans have been transferred to the camp since then.
List of individuals
- "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. Retrieved 2006-05-15.
- f (2007-09-07). "Terror Suspect Transferred To Guantanamo". Department of Defense. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- "Measurements of Heights and Weights of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (ordered and consolidated version)" (PDF). Center for the Study of Human Rights in the Americas, from DoD data. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-12-21.
- Camila Domonoske (2016-08-16). "15 Guantanamo Bay Detainees Transferred To United Arab Emirates". National Public Radio.
Two of the Afghan prisoners — Mohammed Kamin and Obaidallah, who only has one name — had been briefly charged in a military commission, The Miami Herald reports. The war crimes prosecutor dropped those charges.
- Benjamin Wittes (2016-08-16). "A Big Guantanamo Transfer: Progress Towards the Site's Obsolescence". Lawfare.
- Carol Rosenberg (2009-12-19). "Guantánamo detention census drops to 198". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on 2009-12-20.
A Justice Department statement Sunday said those freed included a Yemeni surgeon who the Obama administration approved for release in March. Ayman Batarfi, 38, had echoed other Guantánamo detainee claims that he was a humanitarian worker at the time of his 2001 capture in Afghanistan, who admitted to treating al Qaeda wounded at the battle of Tora Bora while Osama bin Laden was in the area.
- Helene Cooper (2014-12-20). "Four Afghans Released From Guantánamo Bay". New York Times. p. A27. Retrieved 2014-12-22.
The four men are not likely to be subjected to further detainment in Afghanistan, an Obama administration official said. The transfer brings the number of Afghans still held at the American military prison in Cuba to eight of the 132 detainees over all.
- Carol Rosenberg (2009-01-17). "Six more detainees freed from Guantánamo". Miami Herald. Archived from the original on January 18, 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-18. mirror
- "Terror Suspect Transferred To Guantanamo". Department of Defense. June 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- "US sends Afghan to Guantanamo Bay". BBC News. September 13, 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-18. mirror
- "NEWS RELEASE: Detainee death at Guantanamo Bay". U.S. Southern Command Public Affairs. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Defense Department Takes Custody Of A High-Value Detainee". United States Department of Defense. 2008-03-28. Retrieved 2008-12-02. mirror
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guantanamo captives.|