List of active separatist movements in North America
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of currently active separatist movements in North America. Separatism includes autonomism and secessionism. What is and is not considered an autonomist or secessionist movement is sometimes contentious. Entries on this list must meet three criteria:
- They are active movements with living, active members.
- They are seeking greater autonomy or self-determination for a geographic region.
- They are the citizen/peoples of the conflict area and do not come from other countries.
Under each region listed is one or more of the following:
- De facto state: for regions with de facto autonomy from the government
- Proposed state: proposed name for a seceding sovereign state
- Proposed autonomous area: for movements toward greater autonomy for an area but not outright secession
- De facto autonomous government: for governments with de facto autonomous control over a region
- Government-in-exile: for a government based outside of the region in question, with or without control
- Political party (or parties): for political parties involved in a political system to push for autonomy or secession
- Militant organisation(s): for armed organisations (sometimes called terrorist organisations)
- Advocacy group(s): for non-belligerent, non-politically participatory entities
- Ethnic/ethno-religious/racial/regional/religious group(s)
- Secessionist movements
- Proposed state: Alberta or part as Western Canada
- Proposed State: Newfoundland and Labrador
- Regional group: Québécois people
- Proposed state: Republic of Quebec
- Civil organization: Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society, Mouvement national des Québécois et des Québécoises (MNQ), Rassemblement pour l'indépendance du Québec (RIQ), Les Intellectuels pour la souveraineté (IPSO), Mouvement de libération nationale du Québec (MLNQ), Réseau de Résistance du Québecois (RRQ)
- Labour union: Confédération des syndicats nationaux (CSN), Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ), Fédération des travailleurs du Québec (FTQ), Union des artistes (UDA)
- Pressure groups: La Meute
- Political party: Parti Québécois, Bloc Québécois, Québec solidaire, Marxist–Leninist Party of Quebec
- Proposed state: Republic of Saskatchewan or part as Western Canada
- Political party: Western Independence Party of Saskatchewan
/// Western Canada
- Proposed state: Western Canada
- Political party: Western Canada Independence Party
- Autonomist movements
- Proposed autonomous area: Alberta
- Political party: Freedom Conservative Party of Alberta, Alberta Independence Party
- Secessionist movements
- For other movements in Denmark, see List of active separatist movements in Europe.
Greenland is geographically part of North America, but is politically connected to Europe.
- Ethnic group: Greenlandic Inuit
- Proposed state: Greenland
- Political party: Inuit Ataqatigiit, Forward, and Inuit Party
- Ethnic group: Chiapas Mayas
- De facto autonomous area: Rebel Zapatista Autonomous Municipalities
- Political parties: Council of Good Government
- Militant organization: Zapatista Army of National Liberation
Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Proposed state: Republic of Nevis or returning to British Overseas Territory status.
- Political parties: Nevis Reformation Party, Concerned Citizens' Movement
- Secessionist movements
- Proposed state: Second Californian Republic/"New" California
- Pressure groups: Yes California, Californians for Independence
- Political party: California National Party
- Ethnic group: Native Hawaiians
- Pressure groups: Nation of Hawaiʻi, Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Political party: Hawaii Independence Party
- Proposed state: Republic of New England
- Pressure group: New England Independence Campaign
- Proposed state: Republic of Texas
- Pressure groups: Texas Nationalist Movement, Republic of Texas organization (defunct)
- Proposed state: Restoration of the Vermont Republic
- Political party: Vermont Independence Party
- Pressure group: Second Vermont Republic and the Green Mountain Anarchist Collective
- Cultural group: Puerto Rican people
- Proposed state: Republic of Puerto Rico
- Political party: Puerto Rican Independence Party (PIP)
- Pressure group: Puerto Rican Nationalist Party, Movimiento Independentista Nacional Hostosiano (MINH), Socialist Front (FS)
- Militant organization: Boricua Popular Army (Macheteros), Cadets of the Republic
- Proposed state: Confederate States of America or Southern United States
- Pressure groups: Identity Dixie, New Confederate Army, League of the South.
French Overseas Departments
- Proposed state: Republic of Martinique
- Political party: Martinican Progressive Party, Martinican Independence Movement
- "Independence for Nevis still on the agenda, says premier". Caribbean Net News. 2006-07-16. Archived from the original on 2006-08-08. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Hawaii is not geographically in the continent of North America, but is politically part of it.
- "New England Independence Campaign". New England Independence Campaign. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Vt. Independence Party to meet in Montpelier, WCAX-TV News, September 12, 2012.
- Vermont Independence Party convention, Seven Days newspaper, September 2012.