Naamloze Vennootschap Margarine Unie (English: Margarine Union Limited) was a Dutch company formed in 1927 in Rotterdam by the merger of four margarine companies, Antoon Jurgens United, Van den Bergh's, Centra, and Schicht's. Two large companies, Jurgens and Van den Bergh were founded in 1872, in the town of Oss, Netherlands. The two companies began profit sharing in 1908. Schicht was founded by Georg Schicht whose son Johann Schicht was a German Bohemian entrepreneur, owner of a large soap-making plant. Margarine Unie operated until 1930 when it merged with the British company Lever Brothers, to form the multinational Unilever.
In 1927, two companies were formed to acquire the interests of Van den Bergh in England (Margarine Union Limited) and those of Van den Bergh and Jurgens in Netherlands (N.V. Margarine Unie). The aggregate shares of the Netherland-based firm was larger but both companies were set up in an agreement that the benefits to the shareholders where the same as if it was a single company.
Antoon Jurgens United (Margarine) Works was founded in 1867 by the Jurgens family, who had been in the trade[clarification needed] since 1801. The company introduced its manufactured margarine after acquiring patents right to Mège-Mouriès' invention in 1871. The firm along with Van den Bergh were the two largest producers of margarine in The Netherlands. In 1908, Jurgens production was 50,000 tons, the same year it formed an alliance with his rivals and both firms merged in November 1927.
- "UN Profile - Unilever NV Common Stock Stock - Yahoo Finance". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Van den Berghs - Graces Guide". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "ppl n org rep - Unilever". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Margarine Union Limited". The Times (London, England). November 15, 1927.
- Schiff, Eric (2016). Industrialization Without National Patents: The Netherlands, 1869-1912; Switzerland, 1850-1907 (Princeton Legacy Library). Princeton University Press. p. 57. ISBN 0691647445.
|This food and/or confectionery corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Dutch corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|