|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Golden Gaytime (Cookie Crumble in New Zealand) is a popular ice cream snack, made and distributed by the Streets confectionery company in Australia, and first released in 1959. It is a toffee and vanilla ice-cream dipped in compound chocolate and wrapped in honeycomb biscuits, on a wooden paddlepop-stick. Its name has survived intact regardless of the possible homosexual connotations in modern decades.
On 4 August 2015, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime ice-cream tub format in addition to its usual popsicle stick format. On 7 September 2016, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime cross Cornetto cone - named Golden Gaynetto - in addition to other formats.
The company appears to embrace the camp name by retaining the tagline from the 1980s, "It's hard to have a Gaytime on your own". The in-home boxes feature the words "4 delicious chances to have a gay time". In 2009, Streets started re-airing a television commercial from the 1980s.
- Chung, Frank (14 October 2016). "Kiwis don’t know how to have a Gaytime". News.com.au. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Review / John McGrath. "Garden of earthly delights". The Adelaide Review. Archived from the original on February 7, 2006.
- Whiting, Alexandra (4 August 2015). "Golden Gaytime in a Tub Is a Reality! But Not Because of the Fans". PopSugar. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Box design of golden gaytime". Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- 2 maart 2009. "Golden Gaytime". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-01-10.