This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alternative names||Cookie Crumble|
|Place of origin||Australia|
Golden Gaytime (Cookie Crumble in New Zealand) is a popular ice cream snack that is made and distributed by the Streets confectionery company in Australia, and first released in 1959. It is a toffee and vanilla ice cream dipped in compound chocolate, and wrapped in honeycomb biscuits on a wooden paddlepop-stick. Its name has survived intact regardless, or because, of the possible homosexual connotations in modern decades.
On 4 August 2015, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime ice-cream tub format in addition to its usual popsicle stick format. On 7 September 2016, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime cross Cornetto cone – named Golden Gaynetto – in addition to other formats. In 2017, Streets released a Golden Gaytime ice-cream sandwich named the Golden Gaytime Sanga ("Sanga" being Australian slang for sandwich).
Various flavours have been introduced, especially in the mid-2010s, some exclusive to particular stores (Krispy Kreme doughnut flavoured Golden Gaytime was initially released exclusively in 7-Eleven stores).
|Flavour variety||Date introduced|
|Choc Mint McMint Face||2017|
The company appears to embrace the camp name by retaining the tagline from the 1980s, "It's hard to have a Gaytime on your own". The in-home boxes feature the words "4 delicious chances to have a gay time". In 2009, Streets started re-airing a television commercial from the 1980s.
- Chung, Frank (14 October 2016). "Kiwis don't know how to have a Gaytime". News.com.au. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-07-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Review / John McGrath. "Garden of earthly delights". The Adelaide Review. Archived from the original on February 7, 2006.
- Whiting, Alexandra (4 August 2015). "Golden Gaytime in a Tub Is a Reality! But Not Because of the Fans". PopSugar. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Streets launches Golden Gaynetto ice cream, combining Golden Gaytimes and Cornettos". NewsComAu. 2016-09-06. Retrieved 2020-02-04.
- "Streets announce official release of Golden Gaytime Sanga". 26 October 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Golden Gaytime launches fresh flavours". NewsComAu. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "They've done something insane to our beloved Golden Gaytime". NewsComAu. 2018-11-01. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "Aussie ice cream lovers' dream: Two national icons to combine". 7NEWS.com.au. 2019-09-19. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "New! You can now buy Krispy Kreme Golden Gaytime Ice Creams - and they're half-price this week!". New Idea Food. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "Golden Gaytime drop a new flavour in celebration of its 100th birthday!". New Idea Food. Retrieved 2021-01-26.
- "Box design of golden gaytime". Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- 2 March 2009. "Golden Gaytime". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-01-10.