This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Golden Gaytime (Cookie Crumble in New Zealand) is a popular ice cream snack, made and distributed by the Streets confectionery company in Australia, and first released in 1959. It is a toffee and vanilla ice-cream dipped in compound chocolate and wrapped in honeycomb biscuits, on a wooden paddlepop-stick. Its name has survived intact regardless of the possible homosexual connotations in modern decades.
On 4 August 2015, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime ice-cream tub format in addition to its usual popsicle stick format. On 7 September 2016, Streets announced the release of Golden Gaytime cross Cornetto cone - named Golden Gaynetto - in addition to other formats. In 2017, Streets released a Golden Gaytime ice-cream sandwich named the Golden Gaytime Sanga ("Sanga" being Australian slang for sandwich).
The company appears to embrace the camp name by retaining the tagline from the 1980s, "It's hard to have a Gaytime on your own". The in-home boxes feature the words "4 delicious chances to have a gay time". In 2009, Streets started re-airing a television commercial from the 1980s.
- Chung, Frank (14 October 2016). "Kiwis don't know how to have a Gaytime". News.com.au. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Review / John McGrath. "Garden of earthly delights". The Adelaide Review. Archived from the original on February 7, 2006.
- Whiting, Alexandra (4 August 2015). "Golden Gaytime in a Tub Is a Reality! But Not Because of the Fans". PopSugar. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Streets announce official release of Golden Gaytime Sanga". 26 October 2017. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Box design of golden gaytime". Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- 2 maart 2009. "Golden Gaytime". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-01-10.