Matt Brown (fighter)
January 10, 1981 |
Jamestown, Ohio, United States
|Other names||The Immortal|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Columbus, Ohio|
|Team||Elevation Fight Team (current) The JG MMA and Fitness Academy (former)|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Brown belt in Judo|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Matthew Burton Brown (born January 10, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the welterweight division. Brown was a competitor on the seventh season of The Ultimate Fighter television series, and as of September 2015 he is ranked the #5 Welterweight contender in official UFC rankings.
Brown was born and raised in Jamestown, Ohio, graduating from Greeneview High School, and having competed in bodybuilding and boxing. Before Brown began training for a career in mixed martial arts, he was addicted to drugs and drinking. Brown realized that he needed a hobby, to keep him away from the party lifestyle. His nickname "The Immortal" was given to him by his friends after he had survived an overdose from heroin. Brown initially began training in Japanese ju-jitsu and later transitioned to a Jorge Gurgel affiliate, which led him to MMA.
Mixed martial arts career
On February 9, 2007 in Kennesaw, Georgia, Matt Brown won the ISCF (International Sport Combat Federation) East Coast Welterweight Championship over Douglas Lima by referee stoppage due to strikes at 2:50 of the second round.
After Brown thought his career was over due to money problems, The Ultimate Fighter tryouts came along and Brown made the show. Brown then began splitting time training with Matt Hume in Seattle, Washington and at Throwdown Training Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The Ultimate Fighter
Brown was chosen as one of the thirty-two fighters to get a chance at a six-figure UFC contract in The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rampage vs. Team Forrest. Brown officially entered the show after defeating Josh Hall by TKO in the preliminary round. Brown moved on to the quarter finals by defeating Jeremy May in the first round via head kick KO. Brown faced eventual winner Amir Sadollah in the quarter-finals but lost by triangle choke in the second round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Brown lost his second fight in the organization by split decision to Korean Dong Hyun Kim at UFC 88. Kim threatened Brown with a rear-naked choke from back control in the first round, but became exhausted in the second round. In the third, Kim used some effective ground-and-pound and cut Brown with an elbow. All three judges scored the bout 29–28, two of them in Kim's favor. The decision was contested by the partisan American crowd in attendance with noticeable booing. Commentator Joe Rogan announced during the post-fight interviews that he believed Brown had won the fight.
Brown was scheduled to fight on the TUF 9 Finale card against Anthony Johnson. However, Johnson pulled out of the fight after injuring his knee during practice. The UFC set out to find a replacement for Johnson but Brown pulled out as well, to heal up some nagging injuries.
Brown faced James Wilks at UFC 105, defeating him via TKO in the third round. Brown landed a flying knee during the second round which knocked Wilks to the canvas and in the third round, Brown escaped a near fight ending submission attempt by Wilks to take top position. After obtaining full mount, Brown landed multiple unanswered strikes, causing the referee to stop the fight awarding Brown his third straight UFC win, bumping his overall UFC record to 4–1.
During a radio interview held by MMAWeekly, Brown stated he would like to fight Renzo Gracie for his next fight. Instead, Brown faced Ricardo Almeida on March 27, 2010 at UFC 111. Brown lost the fight by rear-naked choke in the second round.
Brown was expected to face Canadian Rory MacDonald on November 20, 2010 at UFC 123. However, MacDonald was forced from the card with an injury and replaced by Brian Foster, who defeated Brown by submission (guillotine choke) in the second round of their bout. After his third consecutive loss, it was announced on ESPN's "MMA Live" that Brown had been released from the promotion. However, Ariel Helwani announced that Brown had in fact not been released from the UFC, citing his source as the UFC itself.
Brown was expected to face Mark Scanlon on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Scanlon was forced off the card  and replaced by Matthew Riddle. Not long after the Riddle-Brown announcement was made, it was announced that Riddle had been pulled from the fight.
Brown was expected to face Rich Attonito on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4. However, main card participant Martin Kampmann was forced out of his bout with John Howard with an injury and Brown was chosen as his replacement, while Attonito faced Daniel Roberts. Brown won the fight against Howard via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
Brown was expected to face British fighter John Hathaway on November 5, 2011 at UFC 138, replacing an injured Pascal Krauss. However, John Hathaway was forced to pull out of the bout due to an undisclosed injury and Brown was pulled from the event. Instead Brown faced Seth Baczynski on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. He lost the fight via submission in the second round.
Brown next faced Mike Swick on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. Despite being a slight underdog, Brown dominated on the ground in the first round, threatening with D'arce and triangle chokes. He eventually won the fight via knockout in the second round, capping a 4-0 year for Brown in 2012.
Brown was expected to face Dan Hardy on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7. However, Hardy was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Jordan Mein. Brown won via TKO due to punches and elbows to the body in the second round, the win also earned him his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Brown was expected to face Thiago Alves on August 17, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 26. However, Alves pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Mike Pyle. Brown won via knockout due to punches in twenty nine seconds of round one. The win also earned Brown his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
Brown was expected to face former WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. However, in the week leading up to the event, Brown pulled out of the bout citing a back injury. As a result, Condit was removed form the card as well.
Brown faced Brazilian Erick Silva in his main-event debut at UFC Fight Night 40. After surviving a gruelling start of the first round, in which Silva dropped him with a body kick and almost caught him in a rear-naked choke, Brown came to win the fight via TKO due to punches in the third round. The win also earned Brown an extra $100,000 as he received both a Fight of the Night and a Performance of the Night bonus award.
Brown faced Robbie Lawler in a 5 round Welterweight title eliminator bout on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. He lost the bout via unanimous decision. Brown received a bonus award for Fight of the Night.
A bout with Tarec Saffiedine was expected to take place on February 14, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 60. However, it was announced on January 1, 2015 that Saffiedine had pulled out of the bout, citing a groin injury. Subsequently, Brown was pulled from the event altogether.
Brown was briefly linked to a bout with Nate Diaz on July 11, 2015 at UFC 189. However in mid-April, Brown announced that the pairing had been scrapped. Brown instead faced Tim Means on the card. He won the fight via submission in the first round.
Brown was expected to face Kelvin Gastelum on November 21, 2015 at The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 2 Finale. However, Brown withdrew from the fight in early November citing an ankle injury. He was replaced by Neil Magny.
Matt is an avid heavy metal fan, and was in the crowd when former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell was murdered on stage while performing with his band Damageplan on December 8, 2004. Matt approached heavy metal vocalist Jamey Jasta of the band Hatebreed to write his UFC entrance theme song. The song titled "The Immortal" was released on iTunes on March 10, 2015. Matt also appears on The Great MMA Debate podcast alongside Mark Coleman Damon Martin and Jeremy Loper
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- International Sport Combat Federation
- ISCF East Coast Welterweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|33 matches||20 wins||13 losses|
|Win||20–13||Tim Means||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||1||4:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||19–13||Johny Hendricks||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 185||March 14, 2015||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Loss||19–12||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||5||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||UFC Welterweight title eliminator. Fight of the Night. Brown missed weight (172.5 lbs).|
|Win||19–11||Erick Silva||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva||May 10, 2014||3||2:11||Cincinnati, Ohio, United States||Performance of the Night. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||18–11||Mike Pyle||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Sonnen||August 17, 2013||1||0:29||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||17–11||Jordan Mein||TKO (elbows)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||2||1:00||San Jose, California, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||16–11||Mike Swick||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||2||2:31||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||15–11||Luis Ramos||TKO (knees and punches)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||2||4:20||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||14–11||Stephen Thompson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||13–11||Chris Cope||TKO (punches)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||2||1:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–11||Seth Baczynski||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||2||0:42||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||12–10||John Howard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||11–10||Brian Foster||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 123||November 20, 2010||2||2:11||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States|
|Loss||11–9||Chris Lytle||Submission (inverted triangle choke/straight armbar)||UFC 116||July 3, 2010||2||2:02||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–8||Ricardo Almeida||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 111||March 27, 2010||2||3:30||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||11–7||James Wilks||TKO (punches)||UFC 105||November 14, 2009||3||2:26||Manchester, England|
|Win||10–7||Pete Sell||TKO (punches)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||1||1:32||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||9–7||Ryan Thomas||Submission (armbar)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||2||0:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–7||Dong Hyun Kim||Decision (split)||UFC 88||September 6, 2008||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||8–6||Matt Arroyo||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale||June 21, 2008||2||3:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||7–6||Chris Lytle||Submission (guillotine choke)||United Fight League||August 11, 2007||2||2:49||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States|
|Win||7–5||Dan Kolbasowski||Submission (armbar)||FightFest: Black and Blues Tour||July 6, 2007||1||1:37||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||6–5||Daniel Moraes||Submission (armbar)||GFC: Evolution||May 19, 2007||1||2:32||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||6–4||Jesse Chilton||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Next Level Fighting 8||March 10, 2007||3||3:23||Steubenville, Ohio, United States|
|Win||6–3||Douglas Lima||TKO (punches)||ISCF: Invasion||February 9, 2007||2||2:50||Kennesaw, Georgia, United States||Won the vacant ISCF East Coast Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||5–3||Matt Arroyo||TKO (punches)||Real Fighting Championships||November 4, 2006||2||2:50||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||4–3||Jason Nickoson||Submission (triangle choke)||Fightfest 8||October 20, 2006||1||0:51||Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||3–3||Chris Liguori||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CITC 3: Marked Territory||September 30, 2006||2||0:42||Lincroft, New Jersey, United States||For the vacant CITC Welterweight Championship.|
|Loss||3–2||Mikey Gomez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Absolute Fighting Championships 17||June 24, 2006||1||3:35||Boca Raton, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–1||Brian King||Submission (armbar)||Broken Reflection||May 20, 2006||1||3:27||Toledo, Ohio, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Pete Spratt||Decision (unanimous)||International Freestyle Fighting 1||May 6, 2006||3||5:00||Fort Worth, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Joey Whitt||KO (punches)||GFL: Brawl at the Buckeye||February 10, 2006||1||0:39||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ricardo Martinez||Submission (neck crank)||Higher Power Fighting||October 8, 2005||1||2:54||Lancaster, Ohio, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2–1||Amir Sadollah||Submission (triangle choke)||TUF 7||N/A||2||4:09||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Eliminated.|
|Win||2–0||Jeremy May||KO (head kick)||TUF 7||N/A||1||3:35||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Advanced to Quarterfinals.|
|Win||1–0||Josh Hall||TKO (punches)||TUF 7||N/A||1||4:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary round.|
- "Fight Card - UFC 185 Pettis vs. Dos Anjos". UFC.com. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Fighter Rankings | UFC ®". UFC. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "Exclusive Interview with UFC welterweight Matt Brown". FIVEKNUCKLES.com. 2009-11-09. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "Brown vs. Sell on UFC 96 main card; Vera and Grove stuck on prelims". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "UFC welterweight Matt Brown discusses career resurgence, Renzo Gracie talk". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2009-12-01. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown slotted for UFC 111 in March". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "UFC 116: Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown Likely for July 3 in Las Vegas". MMAFighting.com. 2010-04-21. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- "MacDonald vs Brown at UFC 123". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-08-18.
- "Injured Rory MacDonald out, Brian Foster in against Matt Brown at UFC 123". mmajunkie.com. October 13, 2010.
- "Matt Brown vs. Mark Scanlon At UFC on Versus 3". heavy.com. January 3, 2011.
- "Mark Scanlon out at UFC on Versus 3, Matt Brown awaiting new opponent". mmajunkie.com. January 14, 2011.
- "Matt Riddle Steps in to Face Matt Brown at UFC on Versus 3 in Kentucky". mmaweekly.com. January 14, 2011.
- "Rich Attonito vs. Matt Brown move from TUF 13 Finale to UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. March 17, 2011.
- "UFC on Versus 4: Matt Brown vs John Howard booked for June 26 with Martin Kampmann injured". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Matt Brown replaces Pascal Krauss, meets John Hathaway at UFC 138". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "After injuries, Brown-Baczynski at UFC 139". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-10-17.
- "Matt Brown vs. Chris Cope slated for UFC 143 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. December 23, 2011.
- "Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2012.
- "Matt Brown replaces Matt Riddle, meets Luis Ramos at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "UFC on FOX 5 adds Swick-Brown to Seattle lineup". mmajunkie.com. August 27, 2012.
- Brett Okamoto (January 15, 2013). "Matt Brown to face Dan Hardy". espn.go.com.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-22). "Injury forces Dan Hardy off UFC on FOX 7; Jordan Mein now meets Matt Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Staff (2013-04-20). "UFC on FOX 7 bonuses: Brown, Mein, Romero, Thomson earn $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-05-04). "Matt Brown vs. Thiago Alves agree to fight on UFC on FOX Sports 1 debut card". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2013-05-04.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-07-03). "Thiago Alves injured, Mike Pyle now fights Matt Brown at UFC on Fox Sports 1 in Boston". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-07-03.
- Staff (2013-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 26 bonuses: Browne, Brown, Sonnen, McDonald, Pickett earn awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Dave Doyle (2013-09-18). "Carlos Condit vs. Matt Brown added to red-hot UFC on FOX 9 card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- Staff (2013-12-07). "Matt Brown injured, fight vs. Carlos Condit scrapped from UFC on FOX 9". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Staff (2014-03-03). "Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva headlines UFC Fight Night 40 in Cincinnati". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- John Morgan (May 11, 2014). "UFC Fight Night 40 results, photos: Matt Brown stops Erick Silva in 'Fight of Year' effort". MMAjunkie.com.
- "UFC Fight Night 40 bonuses: Matt Brown scoops up $100K". MMAjunkie.com. May 11, 2014.
- Staff (2014-05-27). "Matt Brown vs. Robbie Lawler headlines UFC on FOX 12 in San Jose". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-27.
- Staff (2014-07-26). "UFC on FOX 12 bonuses: Lawler, Brown, Johnson, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Staff (2014-11-17). "Matt Brown vs. Tarec Saffiedine headlines UFC Fight Night 60 in Colorado". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- John Morgan and Dann Stupp (2015-01-01). "Injured Tarec Saffiedine out of planned UFC Fight Night 60 headliner with Matt Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-01.
- Brett Okamoto (2015-01-13). "Hendricks, Brown added to UFC 185". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- Tim Burke (2015-03-14). "UFC 185 results: Johny Hendricks wrestles his way to win over Matt Brown". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-03-14.
- Staff (2015-04-08). "Nate Diaz returns to welterweight, meets Matt Brown on stacked UFC 189 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- Staff (2015-04-15). "Matt Brown says he's no longer fighting Nate Diaz at UFC 189". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- Staff (2015-04-21). "Matt Brown vs. Tim Means added to UFC 189". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-11). "UFC 189 results: Matt Brown chokes out Tim Means in first after slugfest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-11.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-08-04). "Matt Brown vs. Kelvin Gastelum to headline TUF Latin America 2 Finale". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-11-02). "Matt Brown injured, out of TUF Latin America 2 Finale headliner against Kelvin Gastelum". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-11-02.
- Marc Raimondi (2015-11-03). "Kelvin Gastelum vs. Neil Magny to headline TUF Latin America Finale with Matt Brown out". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "First Blog!". THEIMMORTALMATTBROWN.us. 2010-02-25. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "The Never Say Die Attitude of Matt Brown". UFC.com. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- Sports, Fox. "Topics". FOX Sports. Retrieved 2015-09-16.