|UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar|
A poster or logo for UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 15, 2008|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Attendance||14,272 (10,845 paid)|
The main event featured the return of UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture versus Brock Lesnar in a title bout. The decision to grant Lesnar – who was 1–1 in UFC fights at the time – the title shot was controversial at the time. Some felt it was premature and marketing driven, while others argued the relative lack of depth in the heavyweight division at the time left no clear-cut contenders to the belt.
Amir Sadollah withdrew from his fight against Nick Catone due to a leg infection. A replacement for Sadollah could not be found, therefore the middleweight bout was pulled from the card. A welterweight match between Dustin Hazelett and Tamdan McCrory, previously scheduled for the preliminary card, was moved to the main card.
Unlike most UFC fight cards, every bout was aired on the PPV broadcast due to the quick endings of the main card bouts.
Also future Lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos made his UFC debut at this event.
|Main card (PPV)|
|Heavyweight||Brock Lesnar||def.||Randy Couture (c)||TKO (punches)||2||3:07||[a]|
|Lightweight||Kenny Florian||def.||Joe Stevenson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||4:03|
|Welterweight||Dustin Hazelett||def.||Tamdan McCrory||Submission (armbar)||1||3:59|
|Heavyweight||Gabriel Gonzaga||def.||Josh Hendricks||TKO (punches)||1||1:01|
|Middleweight||Demian Maia||def.||Nate Quarry||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:13|
|Lightweight||Aaron Riley||def.||Jorge Gurgel||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jeremy Stephens||def.||Rafael dos Anjos||KO (punches)||3||0:39|
|Lightweight||Mark Bocek||def.||Alvin Robinson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||3||3:16|
|Welterweight||Matt Brown||def.||Ryan Thomas||Submission (armbar)||2||0:57|
- For the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Aaron Riley vs. Jorge Gurgel
- Knockout of the Night: Jeremy Stephens
- Submission of the Night: Dustin Hazelett
The total payroll for the event was $1,118,000.
Brock Lesnar: $450,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus) def. Randy Couture: $250,000
Kenny Florian: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus) def. Joe Stevenson: $35,000
Dustin Hazelett: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Tamdan McCrory: $10,000
Gabriel Gonzaga: $110,000 ($55,000 win bonus) def. Josh Hendricks: $8,000
Demian Maia: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus) def. Nate Quarry: $25,000
Aaron Riley: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Jorge Gurgel: $10,000
Jeremy Stephens: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Rafael dos Anjos: $4,000
Mark Bocek: $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus) def. Alvin Robinson: $7,000
Matt Brown $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Ryan Thomas: $3,000
- Thomas, Luke (2008-12-11). "Report: UFC 91 Does More Than 1 Million Pay-Per-View Buys". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "UFC 91 draws 10,845 paid for $4.8 million gate". MMAjunkie.com. 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "Couture Returns to Defend Heavyweight Crown against Lesnar on Nov. 15". UFC.com.
- "UFC 91: Couture vs Lesnar". tapology.com.
- "MATT RIDDLE OUT OF UFC 91 BOUT DUE TO INJURY – MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "Matt Brown tapped to replace Matt Riddle at UFC 91". Five Ounces of Pain. 2008-11-01. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- Gerbasi, Thomas (2008-11-11). "Leg Infection Forces Sadollah from UFC 91 Card". UFC.com. Retrieved 2008-11-11.
- "UFC 91 BONUSES YIELD $60,000 EACH – MMA WEEKLY – Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more". Mma Weekly. 2008-11-16. Retrieved 2009-03-02.
- "UFC 91 salaries: Brock Lesnar ($450k), Randy Couture ($250k) top earners". MMAjunkie.com. 2008-11-17. Retrieved 2009-03-02.