miR-218 microRNA precursor family
|mir-218 microRNA precursor family|
|RNA type||Gene; miRNA|
miR-218 appears to be a vertebrate specific microRNA and has now been predicted and experimentally confirmed in a wide range of vertebrate species. The extents of the hairpin precursors are not known. In this case the mature sequence in excised from the 5'arm of the hairpin.
miR-218 is specifically expressed by mammalian motor neurons during embryonic development into adulthood, and motor neurons lacking expression of miR-218 exhibit hyperexcitability, neuromuscular junction failure, and neurodegeneration, as demonstrated by knockout mouse models.
The involvement of miR-218 in cancer has also been investigated. miR-218, along with miR-585, has been found to be silenced by DNA methylation in oral squamous cell carcinoma. It is also downregulated in Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, with artificially-induced expression serving to slow tumour growth. miR-218 has also been found to have tumour suppressing qualities in bladder cancer cells. miR-218 expression was associated with overall survival in breast cancer datasets.
- "miRNA gene family: mir-218". mirBASE. The University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29.
- Amin ND, Bai G, Klug JR, Bonanomi D, Pankratz MT, Gifford WD, Hinckley CA, Sternfeld MJ, Driscoll SP, Dominguez B, Lee KF, Jin X, Pfaff SL (December 2015). "Loss of motoneuron-specific microRNA-218 causes systemic neuromuscular failure". Science. 350 (6267): 1525–9. Bibcode:2015Sci...350.1525A. doi:10.1126/science.aad2509. PMC 4913787. PMID 26680198.
- Uesugi A, Kozaki K, Tsuruta T, Furuta M, Morita K, Imoto I, Omura K, Inazawa J (September 2011). "The tumor suppressive microRNA miR-218 targets the mTOR component Rictor and inhibits AKT phosphorylation in oral cancer". Cancer Research. 71 (17): 5765–78. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-0368. PMID 21795477.
- Alajez NM, Lenarduzzi M, Ito E, Hui AB, Shi W, Bruce J, Yue S, Huang SH, Xu W, Waldron J, O'Sullivan B, Liu FF (March 2011). "MiR-218 suppresses nasopharyngeal cancer progression through downregulation of survivin and the SLIT2-ROBO1 pathway". Cancer Research. 71 (6): 2381–91. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-10-2754. PMID 21385904.
- Tatarano S, Chiyomaru T, Kawakami K, Enokida H, Yoshino H, Hidaka H, Yamasaki T, Kawahara K, Nishiyama K, Seki N, Nakagawa M (July 2011). "miR-218 on the genomic loss region of chromosome 4p15.31 functions as a tumor suppressor in bladder cancer". International Journal of Oncology. 39 (1): 13–21. doi:10.3892/ijo.2011.1012. PMID 21519788.
- Lánczky A, Nagy Á, Bottai G, Munkácsy G, Szabó A, Santarpia L, Győrffy B (December 2016). "miRpower: a web-tool to validate survival-associated miRNAs utilizing expression data from 2178 breast cancer patients". Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 160 (3): 439–446. doi:10.1007/s10549-016-4013-7. PMID 27744485.