Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (organisation)
|Owner||Ministry of Education, Culture and Science|
|Shula Rijxman (Chairman of the Board of Directors)|
Nederlandse Publieke Omroep (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈneːdərlɑntsə pyˈblikə ˈʔɔmrup]; abbreviated to NPO [ˌɛnpeːˈoː]; literally "Dutch Public Broadcaster") or Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (Dutch: Stichting Nederlandse Publieke Omroep) is a Dutch public broadcasting organisation that administers public broadcasting services in the Netherlands. The NPO is also the owner of the radio-spectrum licence and public DVB-T and DAB+ frequencies.
Media Act 2008
According to Article 2.2 the Dutch Media Act of 2008, NPO has been appointed as the governing organisation of the public broadcasting system of the Netherlands until 2020. At the head of the organisation there are two bodies: the board of directors that administers the whole public television and radio broadcasting system; and the supervisory board.
Prior to the reorganisation in the 2000s, the Dutch public broadcasting system was managed by another public broadcasting organisation, Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (NOS).
On 18 May 2019, following the Netherlands' victory at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 with Duncan Laurence's song "Arcade", it was announced that the Netherlands and NPO (with public broadcasters AVROTROS and NOS) would host the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam; the contest was later cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and Rotterdam was later retained as the host for the following year's contest.
The objectives of NPO are:
- Promoting cooperation and cohesion among national broadcasters
- Providing broadcasters with air time / space in the media
- Distributing the budget between broadcasters
- Providing distribution (sales) and subtitling support for broadcasters
- Conducting independent research on the quality and consumer image of radio, television, and web platforms
Representation in international organisations
In 2013, NPO became the winner of the Prix Europa award for the Best TV Fiction Script by a Newcomer (for the screenplay of the film The Deflowering of Eva Van End, written by Anne Barnhoorn in collaboration with NPO).
- Business Wire (2010-05-20). "Dutch Public Broadcasting Agency Selects Energy Efficient Data Storage by Inprove Powered By NexentaStor". Reuters (Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release). Archived from the original on 2015-09-24.
- "National Integrity System Assessment, Netherlands". Transparency International Netherlands (transparency.nl). Retrieved 2014-11-23.
The Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting (NPO) is the state financed cooperation and coordination body for the implementation of the public media mission on a national level. The NPO is required to provide information to the Minister of OCW. Also, a report must be submitted annually.
- "Welke rol speelt de NPO als organisatie binnen het Nederlandse omroepbestel?" (in Dutch). NPO (PubliekeOmroep.nl). Archived from the original on 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "Eurovision 2020 to be a co-production between Avrotros, NPO and NOS". EscXtra. 19 May 2019.
- "EBU – Active Members". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- "Prix Europa: NPO netherlands wins EBU sponsored TV award". European Broadcasting Union. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2014-11-23.