|Founded||29 May 1926|
|Vrijzinnig Protestantse Radio Omroep|
The VPRO (stylized vpro; originally an acronym for Vrijzinnig Protestantse Radio Omroep, "Liberal Protestant Radio Broadcasting") is a Dutch public broadcaster, which forms a part of the Dutch public broadcasting system. Founded in 1926 as a liberal Protestant broadcasting organization, it gradually became more social liberal than Protestant in the 1950s and 1960s, and the original meaning of the acronym was eventually dropped.
In 1967, VPRO was the first broadcaster in the Netherlands to show a nude woman – Phil Bloom – on national television. The VPRO is known for producing and broadcasting quality, sometimes avant-garde programs, documentaries and films. The target audience of the VPRO consists mainly of highly educated and creative people (e.g. artists, designers, scientists).
- Backlight (Tegenlicht)
- Beagle: In Darwin's wake (2009–2010)
- Draadstaal (2007–2009)
- Het Gat van Nederland (1972–1974)
- Hoepla (1967)
- De Hokjesman (2013–2016)
- Holland Sport (2003–2011)
- Van Kooten en de Bie (1974–1998)
- Metropolis TV – the program sees correspondents from around the world reporting on life and culture in other countries. In 2010, the program was honored with a Tegel Award.
- Missie Aarde (2015)
- Toren C
- Villa Achterwerk
- Zondag met Lubach
- Het Gebouw
- The John Peel Show (1984–1986)
- Radio Bergeijk
- Villa 65
- White Noise, Dave Clarke's weekly Techno show on 3FM (2006–2012)
- Big Fun in the Big Town, a 1986 documentary about Hip Hop Music, presented by Marcel Vanthilt, which has become a cult classic. It is credited with popularizing hiphop in the Netherlands and was made available on DVD in 2012.
- A Glorious Accident, a 1993 documentary featuring several prominent scientists and philosophers, hosted by Wim Kayzer.
- Alternative rock band Nirvana played a VPRO session in 1991 that was released on various bootlegs.
- Post-rock band Godspeed You! Black Emperor played a VPRO session in 1998 featuring songs Moya and Steve Reich.
- "RC-document". Archived from the original on 19 March 2007. Retrieved 8 November 2006.
- http://www.adnovus.nl/pdf/profiel-vpro.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Haakman, David (24 January 2013). "Terugkijken: de penisuitzending van Metropolis – over boegroe en Pricasso". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 19 June 2013.