Old Clarksville site
Old Clarksville site
|Nearest city||Clarksville, Indiana|
|Coordinates||38°17′13″N 85°46′34″W / 38.287054°N 85.776069°W|
|NRHP reference No.||74000028 |
|Added to NRHP||December 16, 1974|
The Old Clarksville site is along the waterfront of Clarksville, Indiana, roughly between the Interpretive Center and Clark Homesite of Falls of the Ohio State Park. Officially its address is restricted by the National Register, as much of it is on private property where there is no public access to the Ohio River.
George Rogers Clark cabin
George Rogers Clark built a cabin in 1803, in order to live independently from his sister in Locust Grove. He had built a mill on the property at Mill Run. Visitors to the cabin included Aaron Burr, John James Audubon, and various Indian chiefs. After his accident in 1809 he was forced to leave his cabin for good. The original cabin was lost in 1854. In anticipation of the Bicentennial events for the Lewis & Clark Expedition, in 2001 a reconstruction of Clark's cabin was built, as this was where Meriwether Lewis and Clark's brother William met to start their epic journey.
The homesite was originally under the control of the Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site, but since its establishment, the Falls of the Ohio State Park oversees it.
On May 20, 2021, the reconstruction of the Clark cabin was destroyed by fire. 
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- ^ a b "Indiana Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission. Lewis and Clark - Falls of the Ohio". Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved June 18, 2011.
- ^ "George Rogers Clark Homesite & Boat Launch". Falls of the Ohio State Park. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011. Retrieved June 18, 2011.
- ^ "Flames rip through, destroy historic site at Falls of the Ohio, other fires burn nearby". May 21, 2021.
- Official website
- National Park Service's webpage
- www.clarksvillehistoricalsociety.org Clarksville Historical Society
- Clarksville, Indiana
- History of Louisville, Kentucky
- Archaeological sites on the National Register of Historic Places in Indiana
- National Register of Historic Places in Clark County, Indiana
- Geography of Clark County, Indiana
- Houses completed in 1803
- Buildings and structures in Clark County, Indiana
- 1974 establishments in Indiana
- Louisville metropolitan area stubs
- Southern Indiana Registered Historic Place stubs
- Northern Indiana geography stubs