Peregian Springs, Queensland
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Aerial view of Peregian Springs
|Population||3,949 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
Peregian Springs is a suburb on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia, and lies within the Sunshine Coast Regional Council local government area. The suburb is home to a large-scale housing estate of the same name which is being developed by FKP Property Group. At the 2011 Australian Census the suburb recorded a population of 3,949.
"Peregian" is an Aboriginal word for emu.
- Average solar irradiation: 4.90 kWh/m²/day
- Average wind speed: 3.88 m/s
- Average air temperature: 19.38 °C
- Average earth temperature: 20.18 °C
- Average humidity: 66.63
- Average air pressure: 99.11 kPa
Wildlife Conservation Area
There are 50 hectares of conservation areas to ensure habitat and breeding grounds for native fauna. A recovery plan for the Emu Mountain Sheoak and a dedicated nature corridor form part of the conservation effort.
The Ridges Peregian Springs residential development utilises a stormwater management system that includes the building of swales which are designed to provide treatment of run-off, moving water away from residential areas and using vegetation as a filter to reduce pollutants and improve water quality.
Peregian Springs was known as Peregian before a major development started in 2008. Before the development begin Peregian consisted of a south-west settlement and a 3 street housing to the East-South region. The sparse land was filled with lush forest, which was cut down, resulting in much of the wildlife having to leave or dying. There were protests and council meeting by locals who lived in Coronet St, Kingston St and Havana Rd West, to prevent the massive development.
Peregian Springs Shopping Centre
The 5000 m² centre has rainwater tanks to collect rain run-off for irrigation and cleaning, and solar shading to reduce the need for air conditioning. It includes a Coles supermarket, 15 specialty stores and 300 parking spaces.
Peregian Springs Residential Estate
Sports and recreation
Integrated cycling and walk paths connect slow-speed street paths, forming a large network throughout the suburb.
Peregian Springs Golf Club
The privately owned, 18-hole, 72-par Peregian Spring Golf Course is for members and guests only. The following charity events are housed annually:
- Advanced Sports Incorporated - Sports Star of the Year awards on the Sunshine Coast.
- Energex Rescue Helicopter Service - An annual golf day to raise money for the rescue service.
- St Andrew School Peregian Springs - Events to raise money for the local school.
- Coolum Surf Life Saving Club - Funds-raising event to support the SLSC and nippers club.
- Peregian Beach SLSC - Raises money to support the local Surf Life Saving Club.
- Variety Club - Raises money to fund local Sunshine Coast charities and providing need to special schools.
- Peregian Springs Pro-Am – "Metropolitan Tournament of the Year - 2007" - $50,000 prize money donated by FKP Limited.
- The FKP Peregian Springs Series - In its seventh year, the series is the richest golf pro-am series in Australia and is attended by golf professionals from all over Australia and New Zealand.
- Noosa Jazz Festival - Held late August til early September the event is spread across the Sunshine Coast region, with pivotal performances held in Peregian Springs.