Bli Bli, Queensland
|Population||7,801 (2016 census)|
|• Density||364.5/km2 ( 944.1/sq mi)|
|Area||21.4 km2 (8.3 sq mi)|
|Location||9 km (6 mi) NW of Maroochydore|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
A few kilometres inland from the Maroochydore urban area, Bli Bli rises above the wetlands which were, for many years, the home of the Sunshine Coast sugar cane industry. Whilst this industry is all but gone, state government legislation ensures the wetlands will remain an undeveloped Green Space.
Bli Bli Provisional School opened on 2 April 1901, becoming a State School in 1909.
In March 1972, Sunshine Castle was opened. The Norman/medieval-style castle was built as a tourist attraction. The castle now houses a medieval museum and serves as an events venue for functions and concerts.
Today Bli Bli has become a conveniently located residential community, it retains its small-town feel, yet is minutes from Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, Mudjimba Beach and the Bruce Highway (which forms the western boundary of the locality).
In the 2011 census, Bli Bli recorded a population of 6,283 people, 50.6% female and 49.4% male.
The median age of the Bli Bli population was 39 years, compared to the national median age of 37.
79.3% of people living in Bli Bli were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 5.4%, New Zealand 4.2%, Scotland 0.7%, Germany 0.7%, South Africa 0.6%.
93.2% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 0.5% German, 0.4% Italian, 0.2% Tagalog, 0.2% Japanese, 0.1% Dutch.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bli Bli (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Bli Bli - town in Sunshine Coast Region (entry 3174)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Bli Bli - locality in Sunshine Coast Region (entry 49676)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Bli Bli (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Agency ID4856, Bli Bli State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "History of the Sunshine Castle". Sunshine Castle. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- "Horton Park Golf Club". Archived from the original on 19 December 2014. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Libraries: Mobile timetable". Sunshine Coast Region Council. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bli Bli, Queensland.|