Police Commissioner of Mumbai
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
The Police Commissioner of Mumbai is the chief of the Mumbai Police. The commissioner is appointed by the Maharashtra State Government on the recommendation by the Establishment Board, which includes Additional Chief Secretary—Home department and other senior bureaucrats.
The commissioner is an Indian Police Service officer.
This post was recently held by Satyapal Singh, an I.P.S officer. The ruling alliance partners in Maharashtra namely; NCP & Congress are engaged into political tussle over the appointment of new Police Commissioner for Mumbai. Caste politics is dominating the choice as 2014 General Elections are approaching. One of the contenders Mr. Vijay Kamble belongs to backward class (Dalit) while, Mr. Javed Ahmed is from the Muslim Community. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/PIL-seeks-HC-help-to-ensure-impartiality-in-top-cop-choice/articleshow/30017380.cms  A Public Interest Litigation to this effect has been filed by social activist Mr. Ketan Tirodkar in the Bombay High Court seeking judicial intervention in the matter. The petition prays for the High Court to call for the minutes of the meetings held by the State Cabinet over the issue and also the list of eligible officers so that the High Court can direct the State to appoint the deserving officer.
List of police commissioner of Mumbai
- Rakesh Maria 2014- current
- Sanjeev Dayal 31 July 2012 -
- K Subramaniam
- Dhanushyakodi Sivanandan 1 June 2009 – 2011
- Hassan Gafoor 1 March 2008 – 13 June 2009
- Dhananjay Jadhav 1 March 2007 – 29 February 2008
- Marpakwar, Prafulla (Feb 8, 2014). "Mr.". Times of India. Retrieved Feb 5, 2014.
- Marpakwar, Prafulla (8 February 2014). "Mumbai police chief's post lies vacant for 5 days as Cong, NCP play politics". Times of India. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Ali, Ahmed (8 February 2014). "PIL seeks HC help to ensure impartiality in top cop choice". Times of India. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "PIL urging HC to ask state to appoint police commissioner". The Hindu. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.