SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos|
Neo Geo AES
|Mode(s)||Up to 2 players simultaneously|
|Arcade system||Neo Geo MV-0|
|Display||Raster, 304 x 224 pixels (Horizontal), 4096 colors|
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos (エス・エヌ・ケイ バーサス カプコン エスブイシー カオス Esu Enu Kei Bāsasu Kapukon Esbuishī Kaosu) is a 2003 fighting game produced by Playmore (now SNK) for the Neo Geo arcade and home platform. It was later ported to the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, although only the Xbox was released in North America, and both platforms were released in Japan and PAL.
The game is a crossover featuring characters from SNK's and Capcom's respective fighting game properties such as The King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Street Fighter, and Darkstalkers. It was the third arcade game in a series of crossovers between these two companies (see SNK vs. Capcom series) and the only one developed by SNK (SNK previously produced SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium for the Neo Geo Pocket Color).
The gameplay is based on the KOF series (particularly The King of Fighters 2002), with the same four button configuration and many of the same techniques. However, the game does not use the Team Battle format, but follows the traditional round-based one-on-one format. Each match begins with a dialogue exchange between the player's character and the opponent. One new technique introduced in the game is the Front Grand Step, which allows the player to cancel attacks with a forward dash. The player can perform this technique while guarding from an opponent's attack, which will consume one Power Gauge level.
The game uses a different type of Power Gauge known as the Groove Power Gauge System, which has three levels. The Groove gauge fills as the player lands attacks against the opponents or guard attacks. When the gauge fills to Lv. 1 or Lv. 2, the player can perform Super Special Moves, a Guard Cancel Attack or a Guard Cancel Front Step maneuver. When the gauge is full, its reaches MAXIMUM level and a MAX Activation occurs. During MAX Activation, the gauge will change into a timer and the player gains the ability to cancel any of their moves anytime (in addition to Super Special Moves and Guard Cancels). Once the timer runs out, the gauge returns to Lv. 2.
In addition to the regular Super Special Move, each character also has an 'Exceed' move which can only be performed once when the player's life is less than half.
The PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions received "mixed" reviews according to the review aggregation website Metacritic. In Japan, Famitsu gave the PS2 version a score of two sixes, one seven, and one six, for a total of 25 out of 40.
- Perry, Douglass C. (October 8, 2004). "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (Xbox)". IGN. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Sheffield, Brandon (May 16, 2004). "E3 2004: SNK Interview". Insert Credit. Archived from the original on June 10, 2004. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- EGM staff (December 25, 2004). "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (Xbox)". Electronic Gaming Monthly. No. 186. p. 126.
- "エス・エヌ・ケイ バーサス カプコン エスブイシー カオス (PS2)". Famitsu (in Japanese). No. 785. January 1, 2004.
- "SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos (Xbox)". Game Informer. No. 139. November 2004. p. 163.
- Kasavin, Greg (October 11, 2004). "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom Review (Xbox)". GameSpot. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Maragos, Nich (October 27, 2004). "GameSpy: SvC [sic] Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (Xbox)". GameSpy. Archived from the original on December 27, 2005. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Aceinet (October 21, 2004). "SNK vs. Capcom: SNK Chaos - XB - Review". GameZone. Archived from the original on January 25, 2009. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Amrich, Dan (December 2004). "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom". Official Xbox Magazine. No. 38. Future Publishing. p. 90. Retrieved October 15, 2017.
- Sell, Chris (March 20, 2005). "SNK Vs Capcom - SVC Chaos Review (Xbox)". PALGN. Archived from the original on March 23, 2005. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Oct 2004, p.77
- Soboleski, Brent (October 12, 2004). "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom Review (Xbox)". TeamXbox. Archived from the original on March 8, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (ps2: 2003): Reviews [mislabeled as "2004"]". Metacritic. Archived from the original on September 13, 2008. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- "SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom for Xbox Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved December 29, 2016.
- Jones, Elton (September 18, 2012). "The 25 Best SNK Fighting Games Ever Made (14. SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos)". Complex.