|Sarkhej - Gandhinagar Highway|
|Maintained by Government of Gujarat|
|Length:||44.5 km (27.7 mi)|
|Existed:||2002 – present|
The Sarkhej–Gandhinagar Highway, colloquially the S.G. Road or S.G. Highway, connects the city of Ahmedabad with Gandhinagar, the capital of the state of Gujarat, India. It forms the major part of NH 8C that connects Sarkhej with Chiloda near Gandhinagar. It is a major artery road for commercial and public transport and is witnessing a major construction boom along its route towards Gandhinagar.
- 1 History
- 2 Transportation
- 3 Landmarks
- 4 Future Developments
- 5 In Popular Culture
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The highway was primarily built as a mean to bypass the traffic from the City of Ahmedabad. But the lower land prices lead to a boom in the real estate and retail industry. Presently, the prices of land within the vicinity of the highway are more comparable to those in the downtown areas. It has emerged as a hub for educational, entertainment and corporate parks.
The highway is dotted with Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service (AMTS) bus stops which connect the highway with the interior of the city. Also, AMTS has started a feeder air conditioning bus service in association with Airports Authority of India, connecting Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport with the city, having the last stop at Karnavati Club on Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway.
As per the estimation, a minimum of one lakh PCUs (Passenger Car Units) travels per day on this highway. And, during the festivals and on Mondays and Tuesdays, there is a sharp jump in the volume of traffic.
In the year 2015, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) started earmarking paid parking spots for various categories of vehicles on 4.7 km stretch between Karnavati Club and Hebatpur-Sola on the Highway, where a number of offices and shopping complexes are located.
The highway is dotted with large-scale retail outlets like Lifestyle, Globus, Croma, and Westside. Various automotive dealership showrooms including Porsche, BMW, Audi, Triumph, DC, Jaguar, Land Rover, Range Rover, Nissan, Volvo, Toyota, Rolls-Royce, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Skoda, Jeep, Ducati and Mercedes are located on this road.
List of Important landmarks located on Sarkhej - Gandhinagar Highway:
- Gobindham Gurudwara
- ISKCON Temple
- Vasihnodevi Temple
Educational Institutions & Research Centres
- Consumer Education and Research Centre
- Chimanbhai Patel Institute Of Management & Research
- National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) Ahmedabad Campus
- Sola Bhagvat Vidhyapith
- Nirma University
- HCG Cancer Center
- Sola Civil Hospital
- Zydus Hospital
Corporate Institutions and Parks
- GNFC Tower
- Intas Biopharmaceuticals Corporate Office
- Mondeal Square
- Mondeal Heights
- Shapath IV
- Shapath V
- Titanium One
- Titanium Plaza
Entertainment Centres - Hotels, Clubs, and Malls
- Acropolis Mall
- Crowne Plaza Ahmedabad
- Cinemax Multiplex
- Devarc Mall
- ISCON Mall
- Karnavati Club
- Novotel Ahmedabad
- Rajpath Club
- The Grand Bhagwati
- YMCA International Centre
- On July 7, 2017, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has sanctioned INR 700 Crores for the development of 44 km stretch of the highway.
In Popular Culture
- Mahesh Babu starrer 2013 Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu (Telugu Flim) was shot near Cinemax Multiplex, within the vicinity of the highway.
- "SG Highway under GoG control, flyover at Vaishnodevi circle likely". DeshGujarat. 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "AC bus service from airport - Ahmedabad Mirror". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Centre okays seven new flyovers on SG Highway - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Paid parking on Ahmedabad's SG Highway, Gurukul road - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "FCA India opens first Jeep dealership in Ahmedabad". www.autocarpro.in. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Ducati India opens new dealership in Ahmedabad - Overdrive". Overdrive. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Centre sanctions Rs 700 crore for flyovers, widening of SG Road - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "Mahesh Babu Finds Ahmedabad Comfortable". greatandhra.com. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
|This Indian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|