Secretary-General of the Council of the European Union
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
the European Union
|European Union portal|
The Secretary-General of the Council of the European Union heads the General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union. In April 2015, the Council appointed the Danish diplomat Jeppe Tranholm-Mikkelsen as the next Secretary-General of the Council for the period from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2020.
Previously, the post holder was also the High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy, President of the European Defence Agency and the Western European Union. The Treaty of Amsterdam created the office of the High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy and specified that the Secretary-General would occupy that position simultaneously. Javier Solana exercised both functions from 1999 until 2009. The Lisbon Treaty redefined the post of High Representative and again separated it from the office of Secretary-General of the Council.
- List of Secretaries-General
|Christian Calmes||Luxembourg||9 September 1952||14 June 1973|
|Nicolas Hommel||Luxembourg||1 July 1973||7 October 1980|
|Niels Ersbøll||Denmark||8 October 1980||31 August 1994|
|Jürgen Trumpf||Germany||1 September 1994||17 October 1999|
|Javier Solana||Spain||18 October 1999||1 December 2009|
|Pierre de Boissieu||France||1 December 2009||26 June 2011|
|Uwe Corsepius||Germany||26 June 2011||30 June 2015|
|Jeppe Tranholm-Mikkelsen||Denmark||1 July 2015|
- "Jeppe Tranholm-Mikkelsen appointed new Secretary-General of the Council - Consilium". www.consilium.europa.eu. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- "Javier Solana". Council of the European Union. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- "European Defence Agency". European Defence Agency. Archived from the original on 2007-07-01. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- "Western European Union". Western European Union. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- Base salary of grade 16, third step is €17,697.68: European Commission: Officials' salaries - accessed 19 March 2010
- COUNCIL DECISION of 1 December 2009 laying down the conditions of employment of the Secretary-General of the Council of the European Union, EurLex
|This article about the European Union is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|