Rural landscape near Peravurani
Rice Bowl Of Tamilnadu /தமிழ்நாட்டின் நெற்களஞ்சியம்
Location in Tamil Nadu, India
|• District Collector||A. Annadurai IAS|
|• Superintendent of Police||J.Mahesh IPS|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||ISO 3166-2:IN|
|Vehicle registration||TN-49, TN-68|
Thanjavur District is one of the 33 districts of the state of Tamil Nadu, in southeastern India. Its headquarters is Thanjavur. The district is located in the delta of the Cauvery River and is mostly agrarian. As of 2011, Thanjavur district had a population of 2,405,890 with a sex-ratio of 1,035 females for every 1,000 males.
The district is located at Nagapattinam District, on the east by Tiruvarur District, on the south by the Palk Strait, of Bay of Bengal on the west by Pudukkottai District and Tiruchirappalli, and on the north by the river Kollidam, across which lie part of Tiruchirappalli, and Ariyalur districts.in Central Tamil Nadu bounded on the northeast by
According to 2011 census, Thanjavur district had a population of 2,405,890 with a sex-ratio of 1,035 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 238,598 were under the age of six, constituting 121,949 males and 116,649 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 18.91% and .15% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the district was 74.44%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The district had a total of 605,363 households. There were a total of 974,079 workers, comprising 117,321 cultivators, 327,673 main agricultural labourers, 26,430 in house hold industries, 363,060 other workers, 139,595 marginal workers, 12,592 marginal cultivators, 87,688 marginal agricultural labourers, 4,770 marginal workers in household industries and 34,545 other marginal workers.
Thanjavur district lies in the Kaveri delta, the most fertile region in the state. The district is the main rice producing region in the state and hence known as the Rice Bowl of Tamil Nadu. Kaveri River and its tributaries irrigate the district. Apart from paddy, farmers here grow coconut and sugarcane and it is the largest producer of coconut in Tamil Nadu.Being an agrarian economy, industrial growth in the district is mainly confined to agro-based industries. A large number of Rice mills, Oil mills are spread over the district.
Thanjavur Big Temple
Brihadeeshwarar Temple also called as Peruvudaiyaar Temple, built by the Cholas and a UNESCO World Heritage Site is located at Thanjavur. The green paddy fields and the Kaveri river provide for picturesque spots in the district.
Thanjavur is famous for the "Saraswathi veena" (the national instrument), Thanjavur art plates, Thanjavur oil paintings and Thalaiyatti Bommai.
- V. S. Srinivasa Sastri
- U. V. Swaminathan
- Srinivasa Ramanujan
- G. Subramania
- S. Kasturi Rangan
- Shivaji Ganesan - Actor and EX Rajya Sabha Member[circular reference]
- Thulasi Ayya Vandayar - EX MP[circular reference]
- G K Moopanar TMC- Congress
- S.S.Palanimanickam Ex Central Minister[circular reference]
- S.D Somasundaram EX Minister and MP
- Parasuram EX MP - Loksabha
- L. Ganesan - EX MLA, MP, MLC
- R. VaithiyaLingam - Ex Minister and Rajya Sabha Member
- M Ramachandran MLA - DMk
- Durai Govindarajan EX MLA
- Durai Chandrasekaran MLA
- Chola Nadu
- Temples of Kumbakonam
Notes and references
- district Collector
- City Superintendent of Police
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals – Thanjavur district". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Nathan, K. K. (October 1995). "Assessment of Recent Droughts in Tamil Nadu" (PDF). Drought Network News. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 March 2003.
- "Welcome to Thanjavur (District Official Website)". District Administration of Thanjavur.
- Ragupathy, Subramanyam (1992). Flora of Thanjavur District. Doctoral dissertation, PhD thesis. Madras, India: Centre for Advanced Study in Botany, University of Madras.
- Sivaji Ganesan
- K. Thulasiah Vandayar
- S. S. Palanimanickam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thanjavur district.|
Largest cities or towns in Thanjavur district
|10||Ayyampettai (Thanjavur district)||Papanasam taluk||14,202|