Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (May–August 2019)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Facebook shuts down 49 accounts linked to black market smuggling of ancient Syrian artifacts after a BBC investigation found smugglers were using the social network to trade looted antiquities. Traded ancient artifacts included Syrian-Roman mosaics.
- Turkish and Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (TFSA) forces capture the villages of Mar'anaz, Al-Malikiyah, and Shawarighat al Arz in the Tell Rifaat area, but later withdraw, allowing Kurdish forces to retake them.
- The Syrian Arab Army launched a ground offensive against HTS and NFL-held areas in northern Hama and southern Idlib, after six days of intensive airstrikes on the region by the SyAAF and RuAF. The Syrian Government stated that the assault was provoked by increased rebel attacks on government-held areas originating from within the demilitarized zone. The Idlib-based rebel groups stated that they believed the goal of the offensive would be to capture the M4 and M5 highways in the Idlib Governorate.
- Northwestern Syria offensive: The SAA captured the villages of Tel Othman, al-Bani and al-Janabara. It also targeted various Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, National Front for Liberation and Jaysh al-Izza positions with missiles and artillery. The pro-opposition Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that at least 69 civillians and 41 insurgents had been killed up to that point, since the beginning of the escalation. The Russian Air Force intensified airstrikes against rebel groups, in response to missiles and mortar shells, that they stated had been fired against Russia's Khmeimim Air Base the previous day by unidentified militants. The Syrian Army reported that it had killed 15 rebels in the previous day, while losing 11 servicemen.
- Northwestern Syria offensive: Syrian Army captured the town of Kafr Nabudah after a brief battle.
- Northwestern Syria offensive: Syrian Army captured the town of Qalaat al-Madiq as well as some surrounding villages.
- Four Hayat Tahrir al-Sham fighters claim to have been injured by chlorine gas munitions launched by pro-government forces three days prior, on Sunday 19 May.
- The Israeli Air Force announces destroying a Syrian air defense launcher and its operator after it says an anti-aircraft missile locked onto an Israeli plane conducting a "routine flight" over northern Israel. According to Syrian media, the strike took place near Khan Arnabah, very close to the Golan Heights border. The AA missile reportedly fell within Syrian territory.
- At least 14 civilians are killed in air strikes by the Syrian Government and Russian forces in Idlib.
- During continuing air strikes, five civilians including women and children are killed in Idlib. 
- Abdul Baset al-Sarout, a former Syrian Association Football goalkeeper is killed after engaging in combat with the Syrian Army in Tell Malah during the Northern offensive. 
- Syrian State Television report wildfires spark an explosion at an ammo depot west of Damascus.
- Rebel shelling kills 12 in a rural area in northern Aleppo.
- Over the past 48 hours, it is reported that 84 rebels and 41 government based troops have been killed in Hama.
- "Facebook shut down 49 groups being used by looters to sell stolen ancient artifacts like Roman mosaics". Business Insider. 2 May 2019.
- SouthFront (4 May 2019). "Turkish-Backed Militants Launch Surprise Military Operation In Northern Aleppo, Capture Key Town South Of Afrin (Photos)". Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Syrian Army Makes Key Advances in Hama, Commences Military Operations in Idlib". en.farsnews.com. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- "Syrian rebels say goal of Russia's Idlib assault is to take highways". Reuters. 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- "Syrian troops advance against insurgents in northwest". ABC News. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- Şafak, Yeni. "Intense fighting in NW Syria as army tries to capture last major opposition stronghold". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Alarm as dozens die in north Syria fighting". 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Syria in Last 24 Hours: Army Makes Key Advances in Hama, Commences Military Operations in Idlib". en.farsnews.com. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Intense fighting in northwest Syria as army tries to advance". Reuters. 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- ""Final Showdown" On Horizon In Idlib As Russia Ramps Up Airstrikes After Rocket Attacks". Zero Hedge. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Russia's Airbase at Syrian Hmeymim Came Under Shelling by Militants". Bulgarian Military Industry Review. 2019-05-07. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Syrian forces shell militants' positions near Aleppo — media". TASS (in Russian). Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "UAWire - Russian Khmeimim airbase in Syria attacked twice in one day". uawire.org. Retrieved 2019-05-07.
- "Syrian government captures Qalaat al-Madiq". meo.com. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- McKernan, Bethan; agencies (22 May 2019). "US investigating possible Assad chemical attack in Syria". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "الجيش السوري يخلي نقاطه من بلدة كفرنبوذة بريف حماة". 22 May 2019.
- "IAF destroys Syrian missile launcher after missile fired at Israeli plane". Jerusalem Post. 27 May 2019.
- "At least 14 civilians killed in air raid on Syria's Idlib". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "At least five killed in fresh attacks in Syria's northwest". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- "Syrian footballer and 'singer of revolution' killed in conflict | Syria | The Guardian". amp.theguardian.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Syria repels 'Israeli missile strike' as IDF tries to suppress radars – state TV". www.rt.com. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Syria state TV says wildfires spark explosion in army ammo depot west of Damascus". Reuters. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Press, Associated (2019-06-17). "Syrian insurgents shell government-held rural area, kill 12". New York Post. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Dozens killed in heavy fighting in northwest Syria". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2019-06-20.