|Founder||World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC)|
|No. of teams||12|
The WBSC Premier12 (also "Premier 12") is the flagship international baseball tournament organized by the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC), featuring the twelve best-ranked national baseball teams in the world. The first tournament was held in Taiwan and Japan in November 2015.
From 1938 to 2011, the International Baseball Federation (IBAF), then the governing body of baseball, considered the Baseball World Cup to be the sport's major world championship. Following the 2011 version of the event, the IBAF chose to discontinue the tournament in favor of the World Baseball Classic.
In 2005 the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced that baseball and softball would be removed from the Summer Olympics beginning in 2012. Thereafter, the IOC also officially reclassified baseball and softball as two different disciplines of the same sport. In 2013, the IBAF merged with the International Softball Federation to create the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC).
On 27 November 2014, the WBSC announced the creation of the Premier12 tournament, calling it "the new flagship pro baseball world championship," which would be held every four years. It was viewed as a spiritual successor to the Baseball World Cup and an attempt to boost baseball's bid for inclusion in the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The WBSC proposed that, if baseball does return to the Olympics for 2020, that the 2019 WBSC Premier12 be used as a qualifying tournament.
The field of the tournament consists of the twelve best national teams in the world according to the most recent WBSC World Rankings. The following twelve national teams has been chosen to participate in the inaugural 2015 WBSC Premier12, based on the rankings released on 22 November 2014.
|8 November – 21 November|| Taiwan
|South Korea||United States||Japan|
- "IBAF World Ranking Notes". International Baseball Federation. 13 January 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- "Taipei likely to host 2015 inaugural Premier 12 tournament: IBAF head". The China Post. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Michaelis, Vicki (8 July 2015). "Baseball, softball bumped from Olympics". USA Today. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Kolatch, Jonathan (3 September 2013). "Baseball and softball belong in the Olympics". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "WORLD BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL CONFEDERATION SETS OUT OLYMPIC VISION". British Baseball Federation. 3 April 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Canada qualifies for Premier 12". Baseball Canada. 27 November 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Yeh, Joseph (21 January 2015). "Debut Premier 12 baseball tourney to be held in Taiwan, Japan". China Post. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Morosi, Jon Paul (23 January 2014). "Baseball, softball might still have pulse for Olympic status". Fox Sports. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "New baseball tournament for top 12 national teams announced". ESPN.com. ESPN. Associated Press. 19 January 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Baseball qualifying for 2020 Tokyo Games would be tricky". USA Today. Associated Press. 9 October 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- World's Top 12 nations revealed for first-ever 'Premier 12' World Baseball Championship; New No. 1 Japan heads elite line-up
- World Baseball Rankings
- IBAF Congress approves new Format of International Tournaments Official IBAF Website
- ‘Premier12’ Elite Baseball World Championship to be Launched in 2015 Official IBAF Website
- Mundial de Béisbol Premier 12 Resultado de los juegos y estadísticas.