Vansevenant was born in Diksmuide. In his early years he was active mainly in Bovekerke, where he lived with his parents, and its surroundings. Later he moved to Torhout where he has a small farm. Vansevenant turned professional in 1995.
Vansevenant has been lanterne rouge of the Tour de France three times, in 2006, 2007 and 2008. He is the only man ever to have finished last three times. "Lanterne rouge is not a position you go for," Vansevenant told journalist Sam Abt in 2006. "It comes for you."
Vansevenant retired after the 2008 season with plans to take over his parents' farm.
- Tour du Vaucluse - 1 stage (1996)
- 3rd, World Military Championship (1993)
- 3rd, National Amateur Time Trial Championship (1993)
- Profile at Silence-Lotto official website
- Wim Vansevenant at Trap-Friis.dk. Archive copy at the Wayback Machine (archived 24 May 2011)
|This biographical article related to a Belgian cyclist born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|