From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2010s 2020s 2030s – 2040s – 2050s 2060s 2070s|
|Years:||2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049|
The 2040s decade will begin on January 1, 2040 and will end on December 31, 2049.
Notable predictions and known events
- One prediction (by Ray Kurzweil) places the emergence of the technological singularity in 2045.
- On August 12, a total solar eclipse will take place in the United States, producing a path from California to Florida. Some parts of Florida are predicted to experience totality for six minutes, the longest in US history.
- Hong Kong's special administrative status ends. (According to Chapter I, Article 5 of Hong Kong's Basic Law, "The socialist system and policies shall not be practised in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and the previous capitalist system and way of life shall remain unchanged for 50 years." That 50 years comes to an end in 2047.)
- In The Simpsons episode, "Holidays of Future Passed", the episode set in December 2041, Bart is a deadbeat dad living in Springfield Elementary (which is now an apartment complex instead of a school) with Principal Skinner as his landlord. Meanwhile, a pregnant Maggie goes into labor. This is 30 years after the episode was first broadcast in 2011.
- The 2005 movie Doom is set in 2046.
- The first Anti-Gravity Racing League is established in the world of the futuristic video game series Wipeout.
- The 2013 television series Almost Human is set in 2048.