From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from 2108)
|Centuries:||21st century – 22nd century – 23rd century|
|Decades:||2070s 2080s 2090s – 2100s – 2110s 2120s 2130s|
|Years:||2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109|
- On March 14 (which will be February 29 in the Julian calendar), the difference between the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar reaches 14 days. Since 14 is divisible by 7, this will be the first time in history since its inception that the Gregorian calendar will have the same day of the week for each day of the month for the whole year as the Julian calendar. This will last until February 28, 2200 of the Gregorian Calendar.
- By 2100, 12% (about 1250) of the bird species existing at the beginning of the 21st century are expected to be extinct or threatened with extinction.
- By 2100, Emperor Penguins could be pushed to the brink of extinction due to global climate change, according to a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution study from January 2009. The study applied mathematical models to predict how the loss of sea ice from climate warming would affect an Antarctica colony of Emperor Penguins, and they forecast a decline of 87% in the colony's population by the end of the century.
- Polaris appears furthest north. Polaris' maximum apparent declination (taking account of nutation and aberration) will be 0.4526° from the celestial north pole, on 24 March 2100.
- 2100 will not be a leap year since it qualifies as a year that is divisible by 100, but not by 400.
- Work on cleaning up the site of the Oldbury Nuclear Power Station near Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, England, which was decommissioned on 29 February 2012, is scheduled to be complete between 2092 and 2101.
- December 31 - Last year which can be represented using the File Allocation Table date format.
- April 27 – A time capsule placed under the floor boards of the Old Queens Building at Rutgers University on April 27, 2009 is scheduled to be opened.
- The Mary Shelley novel The Last Man portrays the year 2100 as the extinction of humanity following a deadly pandemic.
- "Earth 2100" is an ABC Drama theorizing the decline of civilization due to climate change, overpopulation and disease.
- "Revolt in 2100", Robert A. Heinlein's science fiction book about rebellion against an American theocracy.
- The stage "Starbase: Where No Turtle Has Gone Before" in the 1992 video game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time is set in the year A.D. 2100.
- In the computer game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri The United Nations Starship Unity's colony pods holding the seven factions of the game make Planetfall on Chiron, in the Alpha Centauri system.
- In the console game Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution the world ends.
- January 1, 2100 is the starting date for the roleplaying game Transhuman Space.
- July 4, 2100 is the starting date for the real-time strategy PlayStation and computer game Warzone 2100.
- The sci-fi anime series Kurau Phantom Memory begins in this year.
- Much of the novel Shattered Time takes place starting with the characters reemerging in time on the date of December 23, 2100.
- "War was beginning" according to the 1989 Japanese arcade game Zero Wing. This game was popularized by the phrase "All your base are belong to us".
- In the Star Trek universe, Mars is colonized in this year.
- In the Mass Effect universe, the first permanent settlement on Mars, named Lowell City, is founded by the European Space Agency this year.
- The short-lived science fiction TV series Space Rangers is set during this year.
- The radio sitcom The Spaceship is set during this year.
- In Doom 3, according to in-game information, the Soul Cube is found this year.
- The sixth season of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 TV series, known as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward, takes place in 2105.
- In the series Time Warp Trio, 2105 is when the girls (Jodie, Freddi, and Samantha) live.
- In the Animatrix, 2105 is when Operation Dark Storm is supposed to be initiated.
- In Doctor Who, the Ninth Doctor takes Rose Tyler to this year.
- In the Pixar film WALL-E, the Axiom, the flagship of the fleet of BnL starliners, departs Earth for its five year cruise which failed in 2105 because of toxic levels.
- In the game Thunder Force V, Rynex is discovered in the Oort Cloud by the probe SEKIKA 3.
- In the game Battlefield 2142 the new ice age begins.
- In Time Warp Trio episode 2105, they show an American League championship series game between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees took place on October 18 of this year.
- Pimm, Stuart; et al. (2006). "Human impacts on the rates of recent, present, and future bird extinctions". PNAS 103 (29): 10941–10946. doi:10.1073/pnas.0604181103. PMC 1544153. PMID 16829570.
- Dunham, Will. "Melting Sea Ice May Doom Emperor Penguins, Study Finds". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 26, 2008.
- Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels Ch.50 ; Willmann-Bell 1997.
- Enoch, Nick. "World's oldest nuclear power station closes... but it will take 90 more years and £954m to clear it completely". Daily Mail. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Diduch, Mary (April 27, 2009). "U. celebrates Old Queens bicentennial". The Daily Targum (Rutgers University: College Media Network). Retrieved June 16, 2009. "At the ceremony, a time capsule was revealed containing several items from today to leave for the University in 2109, at the building’s tricentennial commemoration."