Nationalism and regionalism is present in the politics spectrum of the Principality of Asturias. Although Asturian nationalist parties like Partíu Asturianista did have institutional representation in the Asturian parliament and government and others like Andecha Astur have also political representation in some municipalities nowadays, the nationalist movement can be sometimes seen more at a level of social movement than an element with a clear institutional representation.
These movements are usually rooted in the several stages of political sovereignty that Asturias has lived, with the time of Kingdom of Asturias between the years 718 and 925, the declaration of sovereignty of The General Assembly of the Principality of Asturias of 1808, the Socialist Asturian Republic in 1934 and Sovereign Assembly of Asturias and Leon of 1937 as highlights, although these two last historical events hardly can be seen as sovereigntist movements.
Present Asturian nationalism includes political parties and organizations from the left political spectrum, with the socialist Andecha Astur/Darréu, Unidá and Bloque por Asturies in the left-wing, and the social-democrat Partíu Asturianista. However, altogether do not represent more than a minimal part of the Asturian society.
Political parties and organizations
- Andecha Astur, leftist nationalist political party (socialist).
- Bloque por Asturies, leftist nationalist political party. In coalition with Izquierda Unida in Asturias.
- Unidá Nacionalista Asturiana, leftist nationalist political party formed by Izquierda Asturiana and other organizations.
- Unión Asturianista, electoral coalition of the socialdemocrat nationalist Partíu Asturianista and the centrist- autonomist Unión Renovadora Asturiana.
- Andecha Astur
- Bloque por Asturies
- Partíu Asturianista
- Unidá Nacionalista Asturiana
- Unión Asturianista
- Asturian irredentism
|This article related to Asturias, Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|