Birsa Munda Airport
|Birsa Munda Airport
बिरसा मुंडा हवाई अड्डे
|IATA: IXR – ICAO: VERC
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Elevation AMSL||2,148 ft / 646 m|
|Equipped with HIRL, PAPI, SAPL, Apron Flood lights, ILS, DME, DVOR|
Birsa Munda Airport (IATA: IXR, ICAO: VERC) is a public domestic airport serving the city of Ranchi, Jharkhand, India and is managed by the Airports Authority of India. It is located in Hinoo locality, approximately 7 km (4.3 mi) from the centre of the city. Hatia Railway station is located at a distance of a kilometre from BMA. BMA used to be a small airport in terms of service, however with the growth of air traffic in India, BMA has also witnessed unprecedented growth in the last 3 years and several budget airlines have added it to their route.
A new larger, Integrated Terminal with facilities for customs and immigration, duty free shops, travel desks, lounges, etc. was inaugurated on 24 March, 2013 in a function attended by Mr. Ajit Singh, Minister of Civil Aviation, Union rural development minister Jairam Ramesh, Jharkhand governor Syed Ahmed, Ranchi MP Subodh Kant Sahay and Rajya Sabha MP Pradeep Kumar Balmuchu. In the next few days, the tax on ATF was reduced from 20% to 4% to attract more airlines to the city. Also, night landing at BMA has been made free so that there may be more flights to the metro cities in the morning. The Airports Authority of India also announced the construction of three more parking bays, thereby making it the first Tier-II airport in India to have 8 planned parking bays.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Delhi, Kolkata, Patna, Mumbai|
|GoAir||Delhi, Patna, Mumbai, Goa|
|Jet Airways||Delhi, Kolkata|
|IndiGo||Delhi, Patna, Mumbai|
|Jet Konnect||Delhi, Kolkata|
Media related to Birsa Munda Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Ranchi Airport at Airports Authority of India
- World Aero Data page for VERC
- Airport information for VERC: Birsa Munda Airport at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Accident history for IXR: Ranchi Airport at Aviation Safety Network
- "Ranchiâ€™s double treat for flyers, airlines - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Ranchi airport to get 3 more parking bays - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-03.