लेंगपुई हवाई अड्डे
|IATA: AJL – ICAO: VELP
|Operator||Government. of Mizoram Chakma/Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Aizawl, Mizoram, India|
|Elevation AMSL||1,328.4 ft / 405 m|
The airport is connected by daily flights with Kolkata and Guwahati and three flights a week with Imphal and is located at a distance of 32 km from Aizawl, the capital of Mizoram. Lengpui Airport is the first large airport in the country to be built by the State Government.
The airport was constructed at a cost of Rs. 97.92 crores  and was completed in a record time of two years and two months. The construction work was started in December 1995 and was completed in February 1998. The Airport is expected to be able to cater to 300 incoming and outgoing passengers. Before the construction of this airport, Aizawl was 130 km (81 mi) from the nearest railway head at Bairabi and 205 km (127 mi) from the nearest airport at Silchar. With regards to land acquisition it has been found out that about 65 percent of the area acquired belonged to some high government officials and political leaders at Aizawl who started buying the plots from the people in Lengpui village at a very low price. They then donated the land to the government for the airport for which the rich persons got much more compensation as donors than the actual farmers. Previously lengpui was also served by Air Deccan which later became Kingfisher Red but the airlines stopped operating from lengpui on April 2012.
The 2,500 metre runway of the Lengpui airport is unique in that it has many hilly streams running underneath. The airport is one among the three airports in India that has a table top runway (others being Kozhikode and Mangalore) which creates an optical illusion that requires a very precise approach from the pilot. At present, Lengpui Airport has installed Cat-I Instrument Landing System. which will help planes land safely during low visibility conditions. A Runway safety area and Isolation parking bay are also under construction plan. The Indian Air Force is planning to station at least 4 jet fighters at Lengpui airport. Indian Oil handles the Aviation fuel service department of lengpui airport.
Incidents and accidents
On 4th May 2011, a Northeast Shuttle's Cessna Caravan (VT-NES) crash landed at Lengpui airport, overshooting the runway. While there were no fatalities, the aircraft was damaged beyond repair and was written off. The officials at Lengpui airport attributed the mishap to rainfall coupled with strong winds reducing visibility during landing.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Imphal, Kolkata|
|Jet Airways||Guwahati, Kolkata|
- "Advani inaugurates Lengpui airport". NENA NEWS. Dec 22-Jan 6 , 1999. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "LENGPUI AIRPORT". Mizoram PWD. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Pranami, Garg. "Lengpui Airport: The Veiled and The Real Victims". Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Lengpui Airport safe for passenger flights, claims Aviation Wing". mizo news. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Indian skies are safe for flying: Kanu Gohain, Ex-Director General, DGCA". The Economic Times. 2010-05-23. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "Tabletop runway creates an optical illusion, says pilot". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2010-05-23.
- "LENGPUI AIRPORT ILS". DIPR Mizoram. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- PTI. "Now, planes can land in Mizoram in low light condition". Sify News. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Sarma, Pankaj. "Panel for safer runway at Lengpui". Telegraph India. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "Kingfisher leh Air India ten Mizoram sum nuai 117 an ba". The Zozam Times. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "IAF-in Lengpui Airport-ah Jet Fighter 4 dah an dil". The Zozamtimes. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "Cessna aircraft crash landed at Mizoram airport, 9 injured". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 29 August 2012.