Henry County, Ohio
|Henry County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 1, 1820|
|Named for||Patrick Henry|
|• Total||419.75 sq mi (1,087 km2)|
|• Land||416.01 sq mi (1,077 km2)|
|• Water||3.74 sq mi (10 km2), 0.89%|
|• Density||67.8/sq mi (26/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Henry County is a county located in the U.S. state of Ohio. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 28,215, which is a decrease of 3.4% from 29,210 in 2000. Its county seat is Napoleon. The county is named for Patrick Henry, the Virginian famous for his "give me liberty or give me death" speech.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 419.75 square miles (1,087.1 km2), of which 416.01 square miles (1,077.5 km2) (or 99.11%) is land and 3.74 square miles (9.7 km2) (or 0.89%) is water.
- Fulton County (north)
- Lucas County (northeast)
- Wood County (east)
- Putnam County (south)
- Defiance County (west)
- Williams County (northwest)
- Hancock County (southeast corner)
As of the census of 2000, there were 29,210 people, 10,935 households, and 7,960 families residing in the county. The population density was 70 people per square mile (27/km²). There were 11,622 housing units at an average density of 28 per square mile (11/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.33% White, 0.58% Black or African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 2.56% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 5.40% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 94.3% spoke English, 3.7% Spanish and 1.7% German as their first language.
There were 10,935 households out of which 35.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.10% were married couples living together, 8.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.20% were non-families. 23.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.60% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 28.10% from 25 to 44, 22.10% from 45 to 64, and 14.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $42,657, and the median income for a family was $49,881. Males had a median income of $35,901 versus $24,076 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,667. About 5.30% of families and 7.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.90% of those under age 18 and 4.20% of those age 65 or over.
Henry County has a 3 member Board of County Commissioners that oversee the various County departments, similar to 86 of the other 88 Ohio counties. Henry County's elected officials include:
- County Commissioners: Tom VonDeylen, Glenn Miller, and Robert Hastedt 
- County Auditor: Kevin Garringer
- County Clerk of Courts: Connie Schnitkey
- County Coroner: Marek Skoskiewicz, MD
- County Engineer: Timothy Schumm, PE, PS
- Prosecuting attorney: John Hanna, JD
- County recorder: Sara Myles
- County Treasurer: Cal Spiess
- County Sheriff: Michael Bodenbender
- "Ohio County Profiles: Henry County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "Henry County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 155.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Board of County Commissioners". Henry County Ohio Homepage. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 7W5 ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
||Williams County||Fulton County||Lucas County|
|Defiance County||Wood County|
|Putnam County||Hancock County|