|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2009)|
|• Body||Chirakadavu Panchayath|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|• Other||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Kottayam, Kanjirappally.|
Ponkunnam (Malayalam: പൊന്കുന്നം) is a census town in the eastern high-ranges of Kerala, India, part of Kottayam district under Kanjirappally Taluk. Ponkunnam literally means 'The Town on a Golden Mountain' (Ponn = Gold, Kunn = Mountain). Nearby towns are Kanjirappally, Manimala and Pala. This part of Kerala is famous for its fertile land and rubber plantations. It is at an altitude of 495 feet above mean sea level.
Ponkunnam is a part of Kanjirappally constituency in legislative assembly (earlier it was part of the Vazhoor constituency) and Dr. N. Jayaraj of Kerala Congress(M) is the current MLA. It is a part of Chirakkadavu grama panchayath. NH 220 (Kollam-Kottarakkara-Kottayam-Theni), the former K.K road (Kottayam–Kumily road), passes through the town. Kottayam is around 34 km. The K.K road is an easy route to Madurai in Tamil Nadu. The Main Eastern Highway (Punalur–Pathanamthitta–Muvattupuzha Road SH – No. 2) meets NH 220 at Ponkunnam. Ponkunnam is well connected to almost all the places of Kerala, by road. Thekkady is 83 km from here. Ponkunnam is also regarded as the heartland of Syrian Christians along with Kanjirappally. Ponkunnam has all communities (Hindus, Christians, Muslims) which are mostly agrarian. The famous novelist and short story writer Ponkunnam Varkey lived here.Kerala Congress leader Eapen Jacob contested unsuccessfully from Kanjirappally Constituency in 1979(former Handy Craft Corpration Chairman,Kerala Financial corpration Director Board Member(K F C) lived in here.Ponkunnam Damodaran, the famous poet, was born here. K.P.A.C Ravi, and actor Cum Singer are from Ponkunnam. Malayalam film actor Babu Antony and his brother Thampi Antony hail from Ponkunnam. Famous lyricist and music director M. D. Rajendran also hails from here.
The old name was Chirakadavu Vadakkum Bhagam. The name Ponkunnam was coined by Magistare T.Pappu Pillai about 100 years back, while inaugurating the vegetable market. The late A.K. Patchu Pillai is the father of modern Ponkunnam. Karippaaparambil Dominc (Dummini Vakil), Pangappattu S. Ramanatha Pillai, Mulavelil Neelakanda Pillai, P.R. Rajagopal, Ex Minister P.T. Chacko and Rosamma Punnose were leading advocates of Ponkunnam Bar. The late P.N. Krishna Pillai, Punnamparambil was the first qualified doctor of Ponkunnam. The operation theater of Kanjirappally Taluk Hospital is built in his memory. Palayakunnel Vaidyans were famous Ayurveda physicians. Dr. C.P.S. Pillai, Chappamattam is the most senior modern medical practitioner. Vidvan A.P. Karunakaran Nair is a famous Sanskrit scholar.
KVMS, Santhi Nikethan and Sri Hari are the three hospitals in Ponkunnam Town. Cutis Care, Skin and Cosmetology Clinic run by Dr. Jaya Maria Thampy and ENT Clinic run by Dr. James Vechoor are the two Modern Medicine Clinics in Ponkunnam Town. Ponkunnam is developing rapidly towards Kanjirappally with the new state-of-the-art shopping complexes and office towers and relocation of banks from the town centre due to traffic congestion. The government offices such as Panchayat, water authority, electricity board etc., are located at KVMS junction. A possibility is that in a short span of 5 years the two towns, Ponkunnam and Kanjirappally may be joined with all commercial and hospitality businesses.
- Chirakkadavu Mahadeva Temple, is on the way to Manimala.nearly 3 km.s from Ponkunnam Town
- Ponkunnam Puthiyakavu Temple is near the Ponkunnam private bus stand.
- Orthodox church is on the Ponkunnam–Thampalakkad road.
- Holy Family Church near KSRTC bus station.
- Mosque is near Ponkunnam bus stand & in Chirakkadavu road.
- Ponkunnam Varkey, one of the famous poets and writers of Kerala.
- Babu Antony, one of the Indian actors who acted in all South Indian Film Industry.
- Bipin Chandran, a famous script-writer of Malayalam Cinema Industry who was famous for the superhit film Best Actor.
- Ponkunnam Damodaran, a famous lyricist of Kerala.
- Thampi Antony, a famous actor of Kerala and also the brother of Babu Antony.
- Eapen Jacob, Kerala Congress State Leader
- MD Ratnamma, a famous novelist.
- PM Mathew, Panthiruvelil, A late Kerala Congress leader
- MD Ajayaghosh, a famous cartoonist.
- M. D. Rajendran, a famous film director and also a lyricist
- K.P.A.C Ravi, a famous actor and also a singer of Kerala.
- Dr.Sibichen K Mathew IRS, Indian Revenue Service officer, Author and first ever Regional Advisor,Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. 
- A.K. Patchu Pilla, a famous person who is also called as The Father of Modern Ponkunnam
- Shemim Hanif, the first person from Ponkunnam to start an IAS Coaching Institute(RISE IAS, KOCHI)
Agriculture is very important in Ponkunnam. Rubber plantation is mainly done by the people. People living in town have good salary jobs.
Here, there is one KSRTC Bus stand and one private bus stand. Daily, there are many buses to Kottayam, Changanassery, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Banglore and also to the nearest cities Kanjirappally, Erumely etc.. KSRTC operates a chain service to Pala . KSRTC also operates a chain service from Kottayam to Kumily via Ponkunnam.
The nearest Airport is Cochin International Airport, Kochi(94 km).
Ponkunnam Related Website