|• Municipal Chairman||K.M.A Salam|
|• Total||13.61 km2 (5.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||33 m (108 ft)|
|• Density||2,065.4/km2 (5,349/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Coastline||0 kilometres (0 mi)|
|Climate||Tropical monsoon (Köppen)|
|Avg. summer temperature||35 °C (95 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Perumbavoor is a municipality in Ernakulam District in the Indian state of Kerala. It lies in the North Eastern tip of the Greater Cochin area and is also the headquarters of Kunnathunad Taluk. Perumbavoor is famed in the state for wood industries and small-scale industries. Ernakulam lies 33 km southwest of Perumbavoor. The town lies between Angamaly and Muvattupuzha on the Main Central Road (MC), which connects Thiruvananthapuram to Angamaly through the old Travancore part of Kerala. Perumbavoor lies in the banks of rivers Periyar and Muvattupuzha.
Perumbavoor has many immigrants from other parts of India. Most work in the plywood or other industries. Tamils and Nepalese have special colonies of their own.
Perumbavoor panchayat was formed in 1936. It was one among the 4 Panchayats sanctioned by Sir C.P.Ramaswamy Iyer (Diwan-Thiruvithamcore). The others were Paravur, Nedumangad and Boothapandi. Kandanthara is the nearest & most populated area in perumbavoor, which is the largest populated Muslim Jamaath in Ernakulam district.
Pictures of the town taken on 9 July-2012 at 8:00 AM
Perumbavoor assembly constituency is a part of Chalakudy (Lok Sabha constituency). Saju Paul is the current MLA from Perumbavoor and Malayalam film artist Innocent is the current MP for perumbavoor(Chalakudy (Lok Sabha constituency))
Its jurisdiction formerly encompassed the towns of Alwaye and Kolenchery, which were separated later. It has a Chief Judicial Magistrate's court, Motor Accident Claims Tribunal, Subordinate Judge's Court (Sub-court).
Perumbavoor is a predominantly agricultural town and Asia's Largest plywood industries. Commodities like rubber, pepper, ginger, turmeric, plantain, vegetables, coconut, nutmeg, cocoa, rice, arecanut, cloves, etc. are traded every day in the local market. Most of these commodities are supplied to mainstream exporters in Kochi or to local retailers. Rest of the economy is shared by government and private sectors and small industries. Perumbavoor is an important city for timber trade in Kerala.
- Galaxy Plywoods
- Ideal Timber Industries
- Nila Timber Traders
- South Indian Saw Mill
- Thukalil Estates
- Kattarukudiyil Timber Mills And Industries
- Perfect Sawmill and Industries
- South Indian Logistics
- F&F Furniture Store
- THUKALIL WAREHOUSES
- TIMBERLAND FITNESS CLUB
KL-40 is the RTO code for Kunnathunad Taluk and Perumbavoor. Perumbavoor JRTO is situated at Pattal. Perumbavoor has got a KSRTC Subdepot operating several long distance services to places inside and outside Kerala. Private bus services run into several neighbouring towns. AutoRickshaws are commonly used for small distances. There is frequent bus services to Ernakulam, Aluva, Angamaly, Kothamangalam, Muvattupuzha, Kolenchery,Thrippunithura, etc. from here. The nearest railway stations are Angamaly and Aluva. The Cochin International Airport at Nedumbassery is only 14 km from the town.
Perumbavoor is surrounded by many small but populous commuter villages, connected to the town by bus services. The notable ones are Koovappady, Thottuva, Kodanad, Alattuchira, Panamkuzhy, Cheranalloor, Nedungapra, ponjasserry, manjappetty, Malayidomthuruth, Vengola etc. Kuruppampady town, is one of the main interchange points for public transport.
- KMP College of Engineering, Odakkaly
- KMP College of Arts & Science, Perumbavoor
- M.E.S College, Marampally
- Jai Bharath College, Arackappady
- Adishankara Institute of Engineering Technology
- ILM College of Engineering, Methala
- ILM College of Arts & Science, Methala
- Sree Narayana Gurukulam College of Engineering
- Marthoma College of Management & Technology
- Mar Thoma College
- SSV College
- CET College of Management,Science and Technology
- Sree Sankara Collage
- Govt. Polytechnic
- St.Mary's College of Commerce and Management Studies,Thuruthiply
The notable high schools are :
- Al-Azhar English Medium High school, Ponjassery
- Hidayathul Islam High school, Kandanthara
- Amrita Vidyalayam (CBSE), Kaduval
- St. Mary's Public School (CBSE), Thuruthiply
- Jamiya Hassaniyeh High school, Vazhakulam
- M.E.T Public School(CBSE),Poopani
- St.thomas public school(cbse),iringole
The Notable Higher Secondary schools are :
- Jama-ath Higher Secondary school, Thandekkad
- Nusrathul Islamic V.H.S.S, Marampally
- Govt.H.S.S, Mudickal
- Asram Higher Secondary School
- Govt Boys Higher Secondary School
- Govt Girls Higher Secondary School
Even though Perumbavoor has a Government Taluk Headquarters hospital, and several private hospitals,numerous dental health care centers, hi-tech labs, health care sector remains underdeveloped especially for trauma, emergency and speciality health care.
Places of worship
- Perumbavoor Town Juma-masjid
- Meca Masjid, A.M Road perumbavoor
- Madina Masjid, Near Pvt Bust stand perumbavoor
- Taqwa Masjid, A.M Road perumbavoor
- Akashwani Masjid, Near Pathipalam, perumbavoor
- Allapra Juma-masjid. (2.3 k.m)
- Parappuram Juma Masjid, Near fire station,perumabavoor
- Kandanthara Juma Masjid, perumabvoor, Kandanthara is the largest populated Muslim Jamaath in Ernakulam district.
- Town Masjid Near K.S.R.T.C Bus stand Perumbavoor
- Juma Masjid Mudickal. ( 3.5km.)
- Central Masjid, Manjapetty (5km.)
- Vengola Juma-masjid. (4.3 k.m)
- Thandekkad Juma-masjid. (4 k.m)
- South Vallam Juma-masjid, Vallam
- Kanjirakkad Juma-masjid. (2.7 k.m)
- Arackapady Juma-masjid, Perumbavoor
- Onnam mile masjid. (.5 k.m)
- Odakaly Juma-masjid ,Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam route.
- Ponjassery Masjid ,Perumbavoor-Aluva route.
- Pallikavala Juma-masjid ,Pallikavala Perumbavoor
- Pallippady Masjid , Perumbavoor-Aluva route.
- Nedumthodu Masjid ,Perumbavoor-Aluva route.
- Mouloodpura Masjid ,Perumbavoor-Aluva route.
- Perumbavoor Sri Dharmasastha Temple
- Koottumadom Sree Subramanya Swami Temple, Rayamangalam.
- Perakkattu Sree Mahadeva Temple, Rayamangalam.
- Chelamattom Temple
- Alppara kavu
- Iringol kavu which is the largest Kavu in Kerala.
- Aimury Temple
- Thottuva Dhanwanthari temple (8 km from Perumbavoor)
- IRAVICHIRA SHIVA TEMPLE
- Kallil Temple
- Keezhillam Mahadeva Temple
- Keezhillam Kaniyasseri Vishnu Temple
- Chakkarakkattu Shri Bhagavathi Temple, Kanjirakkad
- Cheruvallikkavu Bhagavathi Temple, Aimury, Perumbavoor.
- Paalakattuthazham Bhagavathi Temple, Perumbavoor
- Perumbavoor (Onnam Mile) is the headquarters of Evangelical Association of the East under Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church.
- St. Antony's Church , KODANAD (10 KM)
- St. Theresa of Avila Forane Church, Vallam
- San Thome Malankara Catholic Church, MC Road, Perumbavoor Town.
- St Jacob's Jacobite Syrian Church, Allapra
- Bathel Sulokko Jacobite Syrian Cathedral, Perumbavoor Town
- St.Mary's Jacobite Syrian Valiya pally, Thuruthiply
- St Pauls Marthoma Church is Located near Asram High school.
- Brethren church is located in Onnamile which is near Asram High School
- St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India is located near to Iringole Old Post office.
- St Mary's Jacobite Syrian Cathedral, Kuruppampady is one of the oldest churches in Perumbavoor.
- St Thomas Catholic Church, Pulluvazhy
- CSI, Catholic and Orthodox churches are also there in Perumbavoor
- St Mary's Catholic Church, MC Road. Perumbavoor Town.
- St. George Latin Catholic Church, MC Road. Perumbavoor.
- Bethlehem St.Marys Jacobite Syrian Orthdox Church Alattuchira,Kodanadu
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perumbavoor.|