||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2010)|
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (February 2011)|
The Potchefstroom campus of the North-West University (nicknamed "Pukke") was formerly known as the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education (abbreviated PU for CHE). Tuition is mainly in Afrikaans on the Potchefstroom campus and in English on the other campuses in Mafikeng, and the Vaal Triangle (situated in Vanderbijlpark).
About the NWU Potchefstroom Campus
This is the largest of the NWU’s campuses, having had 35,174 students registered in 2008, of which more than 18,800 were enrolled for distance learning programmes. The Potchefstroom Campus also accounts for most of the NWU’s research output and National Research Foundation-rated researchers.
The Potchefstroom Campus has eight faculties: Arts; Natural Sciences; Theology; Education Sciences; Economic and Management Sciences; Law; Engineering, and Health Sciences.
The Campus has 20 research entities, as well as many academic and research centres of excellence.
- Natural Sciences
- Education Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Health Sciences
The University has several touring groups.
One of these, the "Alabama Student Company" musical revue group, which was formed in 1943, was well known throughout South Africa. This group was disbanded in 2006.
The PUK-choir is famous across the world. Choir master prof. Awie van Wyk has been directing this choir for years.
Student numbers and statistics
In August 2004, the Potchefstroom Campus of the North-West University had 33,713 students. Of these, 13,021 were male and 20,692 female. Undergraduate students numbered 31,300 and postgraduate students 2,413.
Commercial products and Patents
CFAM - Centre for Advanced Manufacturing
Examples of typical projects manufactured by CFAM are:
- Twin-screw extruder screw segments
- Twin-screw extruder barrels and barrel segments
- Extrusion dies and kneading/paddle blocks
- Defense industry components
- Components for mining and rock drilling industry
- Retrofitting of mechanical components for twin-screw extruders
CTexT - Centre for Text Technology
- Spelling checkers for several South_african languages including Afrikaans, Setswana, Sesotho sa Leboha (Pedi), isiZulu, isiXhosa
- TSENANG! SETSWANA is a multimedia language acquisition programme
- NGENANI! ISIZULU is a multimedia language acquisition programme
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Potchefstroom Campus.|