Tea Party Patriots
||It has been suggested that Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2013.|
|Tea Party Patriots|
|Motto||Fiscal Responsibility, Limited Government, Free Markets|
|Co-founders||Jenny Beth Martin and Mark Meckler|
Tea Party Patriots is a conservative American political organization that promotes "fiscally responsible" activism as part of the Tea Party movement. Its mission is "to attract, educate, organize, and mobilize our fellow citizens to secure public policy consistent with our three core values of Fiscal Responsibility, Constitutionally Limited Government and Free Markets." The group is a strong opponent of "excess" government spending and debt.
Tea Party Patriots was a co-sponsor of the 9/12 March on Washington, but refused to participate in the National Tea Party Convention. Tea Party Patriots is most notable for organizing citizen opposition at the healthcare town hall meetings of 2009, as well as various other anti-government run health care protests.
In September 2010 the group announced it had received a $1,000,000 donation from an anonymous donor. The money was distributed to its affiliated groups and must be spent by Election Day, though it could not be used to directly support any candidate.
In 2012, the group along with the Southern Republican Leadership Conference organized a presidential debate that aired on CNN.
Along with various other conservative and libertarian organizations the Tea Party Patriots have developed a Contract from America that echoes the Republican Contract with America of 1994 stating some of the core principles and several specific goals shared by organizations and individuals involved with the tea parties.[not in citation given]
Liberal political opinions by Rolling Stone and Talking Points Memo have alleged that the organization is run with the help of FreedomWorks, a conservative nonprofit. Tea Party Patriots denies this claim.
A 2011 investigation by the liberal magazine Mother Jones alleged that the Tea Party Patriots organization was using its 501(c)(4) status to avoid disclosing its expenditures both to the IRS and to local contributors. The magazine reported that when local Tea Party groups pressed for more details on the group's expenses, they were removed from the umbrella organization and threatened with legal action.
On December 15, 2011 the group's co-founder Mark Meckler was arrested at New York's LaGuardia Airport and charged with criminal possession of a weapon, a felony. While checking baggage for a flight to Detroit, Meckler presented a Delta Air Lines agent with a locked case containing ammunition and an unloaded pistol, which he is not licensed by New York City to possess. He was released following arraignment. Meckler has since resigned from the organization.
- Tea Party Patriots Mission Statement and Core Values
- Tea Party Patriots: Don't Raise Debt Ceiling : NPR
- Zernike, Kate. Boiling Mad: Inside Tea Party America. New York: Times /Henry Holt and, 2010. Print.
- Burghart, Devin, and Leonard Zeskind. Tea Party Nationalism: A Critical ExTea Party Movement and the Size, Scope, and Focus of Its National Factions. Rep. Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights, Fall 2010. Web. http://justanothercoverup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/TeaPartyNationalism.pdf
- Burghart, Devin, and Leonard Zeskind. Tea Party Nationalism: A Critical Examination of the Tea Party Movement and the Size, Scope, and Focus of Its National Factions. Rep. Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights, Fall 2010. Web. http://justanothercoverup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/TeaPartyNationalism.pdf
- Tea Party Patriots: 912 March and Rally
- Alex Brant-Zawadzki: Tea Party Convention Loses Main Sponsor
- "Beyond Beltway, Health Debate Turns Hostile," New York Times, August 7, 2009.
- Grassroots Group Grabs Attention
- Tea Party Patriots to Hand Out $1 Million for November Election Spending
- TPP Sponsors Presidential Debate in Charleston, SC | Tea Party PatriotsTea Party Patriots
- Contract from America: About Us
- FreedomWorks Says Jump, Tea Partiers Ask How High | TPMMuckraker
- The Lie Machine : Rolling Stone
- "Tea Party Patriots Investigated: Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell," Mother Jones, February 15, 2011.
- Tea Party big Mark Meckler pinched for gun possession at LaGuardia Airport Thursday - NY Daily News
- "Tea Party's Mark Meckler Arrested on Gun Charge" CBS News, December 16, 2011.
- "Tea Party Leader Mark Meckler Arrested for Trying to Board Flight with a Gun" Mediaite, December 16, 2011.
- Meckler resigns from Tea Party Patriots