In contemporary history, the third millennium is a period of time that according to official sources, such as the United States Naval Observatory, began on January 1, 2001, and will end on December 31, 3000, of the Gregorian calendar. Stephen Jay Gould argued that it is not possible to decide if the millennium began January 1, 2000, or January 1, 2001. The Associated Press reported that the third millennium began January 1, 2001, but also reported that celebrations in the US were generally more subdued at the beginning of 2001, compared to the beginning of 2000. This is the third period of one thousand years in the Anno Domini or Common Era.
As this millennium is currently in progress, its first two decades, the past 2000s and the current 2010s, are the subject of the historian's attention. The remaining part of the 21st century and longer-term trends are researched in futures studies.
The civilizations in this section are organized according to the UN geoscheme.
The events in this section are organized according to the UN geoscheme.
|21st century||2011 Death of Muammar Gaddafi||2001 September 11 attacks
2013 Boston Marathon bombings
|2011 Death of Osama bin Laden, responsible for the September 11 attacks||2014 2014 pro-Russian unrest in Ukraine|
The people in this section are organized according to the UN geoscheme.
|21st century||Nelson Mandela
|George W. Bush
Centuries and decades
- United States Naval Observatory, "The 21st Century and the 3rd Millennium:When Did They Begin?" (Washington, DC, June 14, 2011).
- Stephen Jay Gould, Questioning the Millennium: A Rationalist's Guide to a Precisely Arbitrary Countdown (New York: Harmony Books, 1999), ch 2.
- Associated Press, "Y2K It Wasn't, but It Was a Party", Los Angeles Times, January 1, 2001.
- "How much did the September 11 terrorist attack cost America?". 2004. Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "Boston Marathon Terror Attack Fast Facts". 2014 (CNN Library). Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- Grytsenko, Oksana (12 April 2014). "Armed pro-Russian insurgents in Luhansk say they are ready for police raid". Kyiv Post.
- Leonard, Peter (14 April 2014). "Ukraine to deploy troops to quash pro-Russian insurgency in the east". Yahoo News. Associated Press. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- 2000 is generally considered the last year of the 2nd millennium, but there is some dispute.