Arden Fair Mall
Arden Fair Mall main entrance
|Location||Sacramento, California, USA|
|No. of stores and services||165|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,108,852 square feet (103,015.7 m2)
|No. of floors||2 (3 for JCPenney and Nordstrom)|
Arden Fair Mall is a two-level regional shopping mall located on Arden Way in Sacramento, California, USA. It consists of over 165 tenants, encompassing over 1,100,000 square feet (100,000 m2) of retail space. It is anchored by JCPenney, Macy's, Nordstrom and Sears. The mall is owned by Fulcrum Property and is operated by Macerich.
Arden Fair was originally built in 1957 as a single-level outdoor mall with Sears as the original anchor, despite being physically separated from the rest of the mall. Hale's, the second original anchor, opened four years later in 1961, which was later converted to Weinstock's. By the 1970s, Arden Fair was converted into an indoor mall.
In 1989, a major structural renovation and physical face-lift occurred by Homart Development, which more than doubled the size of the mall. It added a second story, a food court and brought the first Nordstrom department store to Sacramento. The old Sears building was demolished to make way for this expansion and Sears was relocated to a new building that finally connected the store to the mall. In 1994, JCPenney opened up as the mall's fourth anchor, replacing a United Artists movie theater that was relocated to Market Square at Arden Fair, an entertainment and retail complex next door to the mall. In 1996, Weinstock's was converted to the present-day Macy's as part of Federated Department Stores' acquisition of Broadway Stores, Inc in 1996.
In early 2004, KCRA-TV, the NBC affiliate in Sacramento, opened "The KCRA 3 Experience", an in-house studio that was located on the second floor of the mall where shoppers got a behind-the-scenes look of how a newscast was put together and a chance to be on TV. Over the years, Walt Gray, Patty Souza, Adrienne Bankert and Eileen Javora broadcast the news every Monday-Friday at Noon. KCRA discontinued the in-house studio and closed it in late 2008 and was replaced by a Verizon Wireless phone store.
- "Macerich - Center Details: Arden Fair Mall". Archived from the original on 22 December 2008. Retrieved December 15, 2008.
- "Arden Fair - Leasing Opportunities". Arden Fair Mall. Macerich. Archived from the original on 22 December 2008. Retrieved December 15, 2008. External link in
- "Fulcrum Property - Arden Fair Mall". Retrieved December 15, 2008.
- "Arden Fair Mall - Leasing Info". Archived from the original on April 8, 2004. Retrieved December 15, 2008.
- "MALL HALL OF FAME - Arden Fair Center". Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "KCRA 3 Station History". KCRA-TV. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved December 15, 2008.
- "Where shopping comes first". Sacramento Bee. 2008-09-11. Retrieved January 5, 2009.[dead link]