Broadway Plaza (Walnut Creek)
|Location||Walnut Creek, California, USA|
|Address||1275 Broadway Plaza, Walnut Creek, CA 94596|
|Opening date||October 11th, 1951|
|No. of stores and services||80 (as of Jan 2017) |
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||776,000 sq ft (72,100 m2)|
|No. of floors||1 (2 in Macy’s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Zara, and Parking Garage)|
Broadway Plaza is an outdoor shopping mall located in downtown Walnut Creek. The shopping center opened on October 11, 1951 and is owned and operated by Macerich. The mall is anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's, and Neiman Marcus. The plaza features a mix of retailers and restaurants, including Tesla Motors, Athleta, Kate Spade New York, P.F. Chang's China Bistro, and Amazon Books.
Broadway Plaza opened on October 18, 1951 with 38 stores. JCPenney, Sears, Woolworths, Joseph Magnin (later I. Magnin), and a Lucky Supermarket were the mall's original anchors. In 1954, Oakland-based department store Capwell's opened as the center's fifth anchor.
Neiman Marcus joined Broadway Plaza in March 2012, as the beginning of several major changes to the shopping center. Plans for an extensive renovation of the mall, including the addition of 300,000 sq ft (28,000 m2) of new retail space, were approved in December 2013. The expansion merged the two Macy's stores into an expanded single building, replaced existing parking garages with modern structures, and added a new two-level retail building between the existing Macy's and Nordstrom stores. The first tenants in the expansion opened in September 2016, while additional tenants and a two-level Zara store in place of the former Macy's Men's store opened for business during the Christmas shopping season. An additional phase, replacing two multi-tenant buildings with a landmark Apple store, commenced construction in early 2017.
- "Broadway Plaza Directory". Macerich.
- "Broadway Plaza Leasing Brochure" (PDF). Macerich.
- "Parking Downtown". City of Walnut Creek. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Amazon to open bookstore in Bay Area".
- "A Timeline of Walnut Creek History". Walnut Creek Historical Society.
- "Broadway Plaza Turns 60". Diablo Magazine.
- "Emporium Department Stores".
- "Bullocks Department Stores". Department Store Museum.
- "Overstocking By Retailers In Apparel Slows Nordstrom Stock Recovery". NewsOK.com.
- "Emporium Company, 835 Market Street Department Store #2, San Francisco, CA". Pacific Coast Architecture Database (PCAD).
- "Broadway to Convert 40 in Store Chain to Macy's". Los Angeles Times.
- "Macy to Let I. Magnin Pass Into History". Los Angeles Times.
- "Neiman Marcus Joins List of Big Name Retailers in Walnut Creek". CBS SF Bay Area.
- "City Council Approves Plan for Broadway Plaza Renovation". Patch.
- "Macerich Officially Opens Expanded Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek". September 1, 2016.