Azhikode and Azhikkal
Gulikan Theyyam at Puthiya Mundayat
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Azhikode is a coastal village situated in Kannur district of Kerala, south India. The northern end of the village is called Azhikkal. The place is the birthplace of Sukumar Azhikode, an influential thinker and literary critic. It is about 5 km from Kannur.
Beaches in Azhikode
Azhikode is famous for its beaches like
- Meenkunnu beach (Fish hill)
- Chalil Beach and Gardens (Chal beach)
- Azhikkal Estuary
- Palliyamoola beach
- Payyambalam beach
Kannur city is connected to Azhikkode and Azhikkal from Payyambalam beach through Palliyamoola beach, Chal beach, Azhikode South, Meenkunnu Beach, Azhikode North and finally Azhikkal. Villages like Alavil, Manal, Chirakkal, Puthiyatheru and Valapattanam are connected to Azhikkod.
Azhikkal estuary is the northern end of Azhikod village. The place has a small port and a fishing harbour. It is the site for a proposed expanded cargo port. The Valapattanam River empties into the Arabian Sea at Azhikkal. The Indian Coast Guard Academy is under construction at Irinave, near to Azhikkal.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Archived (PDF) from the original on 30 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- No vessel calls at Azhikkal port
- First Coast Guard academy to come up at Azheekkal
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Azhikode, Kannur.|
|This article related to a location in Kannur district, Kerala, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|