Nadapuram Bus Station
|• Total||20.44 km2 (7.89 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,000/km2 (5,100/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 18|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vatakara|
Nadapuram (Hindi: नादापुरम); is a fast growing census town and a special grade Panchayath located in Kozhikode District of Kerala, coming under Nadapuram assembly constituency. It is in North Malabar region of Kerala, India; spread over an area of 20.44 km2.
- 1 Awards
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Geography
- 4 History
- 5 Politics
- 6 Economy
- 7 In popular culture
- 8 Attractions
- 9 Notable people
- 10 Cuisine of Nadapuram
- 11 Suburbs of Nadapuram
- 12 Transportation
- 13 Climate
- 14 Places of worship
- 15 Educational Organizations
- 16 Nadapuram Indoor Stadium
- 17 Institutions/Government Offices
- 18 Hospitals
- 19 See also
- 20 References
- 21 External links
Nadapuram won the best panchayat award of Kozhikode district seven consecutive years under the leadership of president, Soopy Narikkatteri. The Panchayat got many awards including central and state awards and first ISO certified Panchayat in the state. In 2015, the panchayath administration bagged the best performing Grama Panchayath award at state level and all India level among more than 265000 grama panchayaths in India.,
As of 2011 India census, Nadapuram has a population of 40,230. Hindu and Mappilas (Muslims) are major religions. Males constitute 47% of the population and females 53%. Nadapuram has an average literacy rate of 92.64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is around 96.34 % while female literacy rate is 89.49 %. In Nadapuram, 13.18% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Hindus make up 47.52% of the population, Muslims 52.21% and Christians 0.19%.
Nadapuram is located at  It has an average elevation of 25.9 m (85 ft). Geographically, Nadapuram is situated about 14 km to the north east of Vadakara Town, approximately 21 km to the south east of Thalassery Town. The Panchayat lies by the side of a river known by different names as Vishnumangalam river, Mahe(Mayyazhi) river or Vanimel river..
In history Nadapuram was the place which lies in between Kuttipuram Kovilakam and Kadathanad palace. The derivation of the name Nadapuram is widely known through 2 names like Nagapuram and Nadapuram (land of Music). Nadapuram is the place which is well known as part of the ballad of Kadathanad is known all over kerala. This land witnessed the padayottam of Thacholi Othenan and Unniyarcha in older times. Art forms like Dafmuttu, Aravanamuttu, Poorakkali and Kolkkali were nourished in this place.
In his book “Malayala Rajyam Charithrathodu Chernna Bhoomisathram” Hermann Gundert states about Nadapuram as the place which is two miles north east to Kuttipuram and there is a Mazjid and a market mainly concentrated on Pepper business.
Kuttipuram was part of the famous Kurumbanad Taluk and was famous for its martial arts. Now the remnant of Kuttipuram Kovilakam is only a pond with dilapidated pavement and covered with waterweed. Unniyarcha defeated ‘Jonakans’ using a wet cloth dipped in this pond.
In the older times Nadapuram was well known for its secular nature and was famous as a centre for Islamic teaching. Significant marks for its secularism can be noted from this place like Kallachi where the Kallachi Avolam road is named in the name of the Great ruler Tipu Sultan.
Nadapuram has also the awaking as part of National movement. The urge for freedom made a group of people led by Sri. Appukurup to try to make an explosion at the Nadapuram Munsif court using bomb which was under the then British rulers. The Nadapuram Munsif court was formed in the year 1910 Nadapuram has a lot of freedom fighting saga by donating its freedom warriors like Sri Rairukurup, P Krishinan Nambiar, Edavalath Kanaran master and Chingonth Kunhiraman Nair for the fight they had made for their country and made their land proud.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nadapuram is notorious for both political and communal clashes between CPI(M) and IUML activists. Elections are often followed by party-based violence.
The economy is mainly dependent on the expatriates. Most of the people are working outside India, particularly in the Persian Gulf area. Nadapuram is greatly influenced by the luxuries of Gulf regions. One can find magnificent houses with modern facilities, which reflect the wealth of the local people.
Nadapuram mainly consists of 2 commercial hubs. The first hub is; Nadapuram, the bus stand with commercial establishments on 3 roads; Thalassery, Vadakara & Kuttiady. Second hub is Kallachi; Gov't offices, Banks, Hotels, Showrooms for cars, Bikes & wholesale market are located here. Recently the rapid growth in business has noticed at Kasthoori Kulam area linking Kallachi & Nadapuram as a single town. Six co-operative banks, 2 State Bank of India, Canara Bank, Syndicate Bank, Punjab National Bank, Federal Bank, HDFC Bank, IDBI Bank, INDUSIND Bank & ICICI Banks are located in Nadapuram-Kallachi Town.
In popular culture
The Nadapuram Masjid, an old masjid with 100 years of tradition and culture became well known across the state due to song Nadapuram Palliyile sung by Vani Jairam, lyrics penned by Yusufali Kechery with music score by K. Raghavan in the Thacholi Ambu film.
- Thirikakkayam Falls
- The Thirikakkayam waterfalls near Karuvalam on the Vanimel Mountain is a paradise for tourists. Located in the Nadapuram region of Kozhikode district, the place is thronged by tourists from June to December. At Thirikakkayam, water falls from a height of 50 m.
- The place is located near Karuvalam on the Vanimel-Vilangad route.
- Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport.
- Nadapuram Mudi
- Nadapuram Mudi is a lesser known magical spot in the forest areas of Kannur, Kozhikode and Wayanad. Since this place has very few visitors, not even the natives know much about this place. One can see the famous Nadapuram Mosque from this peak or mudi and that’s how it got the name Nadapuram Mudi.
- This place can be reached from Kannur, Kozhikode or Wayanad through the border village of Vilangad. One can also reach this spot by walking through a path in the forest from Kuttiyadi Churam.
- Nearest airport: Karipur International Airport.
- Chakkarakundu falls, Vilangad
- Thonikkayam Falls, Vilangad
- A.K. Balan  Minister in Kerala Government
- Akbar Kakkattil, Short-story writer and Novelist
- P.K. Parakkadavu, Story Writer
- M.T. Azeez, Former Indian Volleyball Player 
- Perode Abdul rahman saqafi famous Islamic scholar
Cuisine of Nadapuram
The people of Nadapuram is blessed with an exemplary culinary art. There are different kinds of food during different seasons/times of the year.
- During the month of Karakadakam (Monsoon season) people prepare Karkadakanji. It is a porridge made of lentils, wheat, rice, fenugreek, cumin and many other natural ingredients, which protects from monsoon based diseases.
- In the month of Ramadan, restaurants and bakeries are displayed with mouth-watering snacks and appetizers for Iftar. This include Pazhampori, Kallummakkaya, Unnakkayi, spring rolls, puffs, Samosas, Pakora, Parippuvada, Cutlet, Falooda, Egg fry and many more. After Iftar people disperse for prayer and continue with the Main Course. It includes Ottu pathil (Tyre Pathil) & chicken curry, Pathiri, Hareesh (locally called Aleesa), Kunjippathil, Neypathil, Ada, Masalapathil, Macaroni, Koyakatta etc.
Suburbs of Nadapuram
- Purameri, Kakkamvelli & Vilathapuram
- Parakkadavu, Perode & Avolam
- Kallachi, Payanthong & Chelakkad
- Kasthoorikulam, Iyyankode & Kummankode
- Chiyoor, Theruvanparambu & Vanimel
- Vishnumangalam, Jathiyeri & Valayam
- Chalappuram, Vellur & Thuneri
- Road: Nadapuram town is 63 km away from Kozhikode City. SH38 (Aka - Airport Road) Passes through Nadapuram. Thalassery(21 km), Panoor(15 km), and Kuttiady(13 km) are the other major towns nearby. Nadapuram Town connects to other parts of India through Vatakara city on the west and Kuttiady town on the east. National highway No.66 passes through Vatakara and the northern stretch connects to Mangalore, Goa and Mumbai. The southern stretch connects to Cochin and Trivandrum. The eastern Highway going through Kuttiady connects to Mananthavady, Mysore and Bangalore. A preliminary survey is being done for a National Highway connecting Vatakara to Bangalore through Nadapuram.
- Regular bus services serve Kozhikode, Vadakara, Thalassery, Kuttiady, Panoor and Thottilpalam. Hilly regions like Kaiveli, Kumbala Chola, Valayam, Chuzhali, Kallunira, Vanimel, Vilangad are connected to Nadapuram through Bus route. KSRTC Bus service are available to Mananthavady, Sulthan Bathery, Kalpetta, Mysore & Bangalore.
- Railway Stations: Nearest stations are available at Vatakara (16 kilometres), Mahe (18 kilometres) and Thalassery (21 kilometres).
- Airports: The nearest airport- Calicut International Airport approx. 90 km away. On completion of proposed Airport at Mattannur, the nearest Airport for Nadapuram will be Kannur International Airport.
How to reach by road
The Kilometer chart from Nadapuram is given below:
|Kozhikode - 63 km||Vatakara - 16 km|
|Kannur - 44 km||Thalassery - 21 km|
|Thrissur - 181 km||Kuttiady - 13 km|
|Ernakulam - 237 km||Panoor - 15 km|
|Palakkad - 185 km||Kuthuparamba - 27 km|
|Thiruvananthapuram - 424 km||Mahe - 18 km|
|Mangalore - 186 km||Payyoli - 26 km|
|Mananthavady - 55 km||Perambra - 26 km|
|Kasargod - 134 km||Vilangad - 16 km|
|Kalpetta - 72 km||Koyilandy - 39 km|
|Iritty - 51 km||Peringathur - 10 km|
|Mysore - 165 km||Orkkatteri - 8 km|
Nadapuram has a tropical climate. During most months of the year, there is significant rainfall in Nadapuram. There is only a short dry season. This climate is considered to be Am according to the Köppen-Geiger climate classification. The average annual temperature in Nadapuram is 27.2 °C. In a year, the average rainfall is 3697 mm. The temperatures are highest on average in April, at around 29.5 °C. In July, the average temperature is 25.7 °C. It is the lowest average temperature of the whole year. The variation in the precipitation between the driest and wettest months is 1111 mm. The average temperatures vary during the year by 3.8 °C. 
|Climate data for Nadapuram|
|Average high °C (°F)||31.6
|Average low °C (°F)||21.6
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||4
Places of worship
- Thuneri Sree Vettakkorumakan Temple
- Thuneri Sree Vettakkorumakan Kshethram is situated near Tuneri town. Its glorious history says number of devotees got blessings of Vettakkorumakan. Vettakkorumakan, incarnation of lord siva with bhagavathi and adityan are the main moorthees of this temple.according to legend, vettakkorumakan came from balussery kotta, which is the aroodastanam of kirata moorty.
- Kozhukkannur Neyyamruth Madom
- Kozhukkannur Neyyamruth Madom is located at Purameri, is said to have a history of more than 100 years. The madom relates to the Kotiyoor festival, and is a centre from where the Neyamruthu [Ghee] offerings are taken to the Kotiyoor temple by walk.
- Karyat Sree Ayyappa Temple Vanimal
- Karyat Sree Ayyappa-Bhagavathi Temple is situated in Vanimal, Vayalpeedika. The presiding deity in this temple is Lord Ayyappa. It was started as a small Bhajana Madam in the year 1987. 
- Sree Manikanda Kshetram Kakkamvelly
- Cheruvalathu Kuttichathan Temple (Theruvan Parambu)
- Thrikkalloor Mahavishnu Kshethram Kakkamvelly
- Vishnumangalam Maha Vishnu Kshethram
- koovakkadu Siva kshethram
- Pattare sree paradevatha kshethram
- Nadapuram puthiyatheru Siva Kshethram
- Chalapuram Kulasseri Siva kshethram
- Unnamnadu bagavathi kavu
- Narikkatteri mahasudarsana temple
- Nadapuram Juma Masjid, Nadapuram
- Nadapuram Mosque has significant role in the history of Nadapuram having more than 100 years of tradition and culture. This mosque is the major landmark of the Town.
- Thattath Masjid, Kasthoorikulam, Nadapuram
- Chakkarapurath Masjid, Kasthoorikulam, nadapuram
- Ibrahim Khaleel masjid, Nadapuram
- Undil srambi Masjid, Kallachi
- Pulikool Juma masjid, Nadapuram
- Poochakool Masjid, Nadapuram
- Cheeroth masjid, Eyyankode
- Othiyil masjid, Vishnumangalam
- Kallachi town Juma masjid, Kallachi
- Chiyoor Juma Masjid & Masjidu Sabbah
- Modakara Juma Masjid, Nadapuram
- Darul Huda Masjid, Kakkamvelli, Nadapuram
- Aboobacker Sidhique Masjid Cheeroth, Kallachi
- Sirajul Huda Masjid, Nadapuram
Higher Secondary Schools
- Govt Higher Secondary School, Kallachi, Nadapuram
- TIM Girls Higher Secondary School, Nadapuram
- MIM Higher Secondary School, Perode, Nadapuram
- Kadathanad Rajas Higher Secondary School, Purameri
- Government Arts & Science College Nadapuram
- MET Arts & Science College, Kallachi, Nadapuram
- College of Apllied Science (IHRD), Nadapuram
- National College of Arts & Science, Puliyavu, Nadapuram
- Darul Huda Arts & Science College, Nadapuram
- Hitech Arts & Science College, Payanthong, Nadapuram
- Malabar Arts & Science College for Women, Chekkiad, Nadapuram
- Government Commercial Institute, Kallachi
- Government ITI, Valayam
- TIM Training College, Nadapuram
There are many schools in Nadapuram including state syllabus and CBSE syllabus. Nadapuram town and bus stand can be found crowded with school/college students. The list of schools can be found in Educational institutions in vatakara.
Nadapuram Indoor Stadium
Nadapuram Indoor Stadium, First ever Indoor Stadium Constructed by a Grama Panchayat in the state to further encourage the region’s love for its favourite sport. It houses 2 Volleyball courts, one Basketball court, 4 Shuttle Badminton courts. It has a gallery with seating capacity of 3,000 persons, conference hall, green room, stay rooms, kitchen. Prestigious indoor stadium was inaugurated in May 2014.
- Panchayat Office Nadapuram, Kallachi
- Sub-treasury Kallachi
- Police station Nadapuram
- Police Control Room Nadapuram
- CI Office Nadapuram
- DYSP Office Nadapuram
- First Class Magistrate Court Nadapuram, Kallachi
- Munsiff Court Nadapuram, Kallachi
- PWD Rest House Nadapuram
- Fire Station Nadapuram,Chelakkad
- Excise Range Office Nadapuram
- Nadapuram Mini Civil Station Kallachi
- Krishi Bhavan Nadapuram
- Village Office Nadapuram
- KSEB Electrical Division Office Nadapuram, Kallachi
- KSEB Electrical Section Office Nadapuram, Kallachi
- AEO Office Nadapuram, Kallachi
- Sub Post Office Nadapuram
- Sub Post Office Kallachi
- Sub Registrar Office Nadapuram
- Telephone Exchange Nadapuram
- Nadapuram Panchayath Auditorium, Kallachi
- Kerala State Financial Enterprises Kallachi
- LIC of India Sattelite Office Nadapuram
- Kerala State Bamboo Corporation Ltd Feeder Unit Nadapuram 
- Government Taluk Hospital, Nadapuram
- Vims Hospital, Kallachi
- Nadapuram Co-operative Hospital, Nadapuram
- Nadapuram Nursing Home, Nadapuram
- Nucleus Health Care, Nadapuram
- Jaihind Multi Speciality Medicentre, Nadapuram
- Sneha Hospital, Kallachi
- Vettukattil Hospital, Kallachi
- MIMS Dialysis Centre, Nadapuram
- Mahe, Pondicherry
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "Climate: Nadapuram". En.climate-data.org. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nadapuram.|