|Province of Turkey|
Location of Balıkesir Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Balıkesir|
|• Total||12,496 km2 (4,825 sq mi)|
|• Density||96/km2 (250/sq mi)|
Balıkesir Province (Turkish: Balıkesir ili) is a province in northwestern Turkey, having coastlines on both the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean. Its adjacent provinces are Çanakkale to the west, İzmir to the southwest, Manisa to the south, Kütahya to the southeast, and Bursa to the east. The provincial capital is Balıkesir City. Most of the province lies in the Marmara Region except the southern parts of Bigadiç Edremit, Kepsut, İvrindi, Savaştepe and Sındırgı districts and ones of Ayvalık, Burhaniye, Dursunbey, Gömeç and Havran, that bound the Aegean Region.
Balıkesir province is famous for its olives, thermal spas, and clean beaches, making it an important tourist destination. The province also hosts immense deposits of kaolinite and borax, with some open-pit mines. The Kaz mountains are also threatened with the expansion of gold mining using cyanide which puts the villagers' lives, the agricultural economy, and tourism at risk.
Sites of interest
Balıkesir is home to a number of natural attractions, including Kuş Cenneti (bird sanctuary) National Park; the bays of Erdek, Bandırma, and Edremit; Ayvalık's coastal beaches; Şeytan Sofrası, Marmara Islands, Alibey (Cunda) Island; the Erdek and Gönen open-air museums; Pamukçu-Bengi, Balya Dağ, Hisar, Hisarköy (Asarköy), Karağaç (Uyuz), Kepekler hot springs, Dutluca Village mineral springs, and Zeytinli Ada hot springs and mineral water springs.
Among the cultural attractions of Balıkesir are the ruins of Cyzicus and Saraylar on the Sea of Marmara, Deasklaion (near Bandırma/Ereğli), and Antandrus (near Edremit/Altınoluk); Balıkesir's Yıldırım Mosque (Eski Cami), the Zağanos Pasha mosque complex, Clocked Church Mosque and quantity of Ottoman vernacular architecture at Ayvalık, and Alibey Mosque (Çınarlı Cami).
There are also a city museum and a fine arts centre in Balıkesir. Also, There are a number of camping facilities in Erdek, Altınoluk, Akçay, Güre, and Ören.
Museums and ancient sites
- Balıkesir Kuvayi Milliye Museum
- Bandırma Archaeological Museum
- Edremit Ayşe Sıdıka Erke Ethnography Museum
- Balıkesir National Photography Museum
- Edremit Tahtakuşlar Ethnography Museum
- Gönen Mosaic Museum
- Balıkesir Municipality's Devrim Erbil Modern Arts Museum
- Bigadiç Museum House
- Marmara District Palaces Open Air Museum
- Altınoluk Antardos Open Air Museum
- Erdek Belkıs Ruins Open Air Museum
- Daskyleon ruins
- Prokonnessos ruins
- Adyramytteon ruins
- Yortan ruins
- Erdek Kapıdağ region
- Kaz Dağı national park
- Kuş Cenneti national park
- Alaçam mountains
- Ayvalık Islands natural park
- Madra mountains
Education in Balıkesir
Celebrating its 18th anniversary in 2010, the young Balıkesir University (BAU) has been increasing its supports to the higher education of the province from the past to the future. It has already been determined to meet the new age, the Age of Information, with 5 Faculties, 4 Applied Schools, 11 Vocational Schools giving vocational training for 2 years, 2 Graduate Schools, 2 Research Institutes and 9 Research Centers presenting modern academic services with dynamic, productive academic and administrative staff appropriate to the age.
BAU has aimed to be an educational institution of the 21st century and has taken special care to direct its experience from the past towards this objective. Other guiding objectives of BAU are to bring up democratic, secular, independent, young citizens, loyal to Atatürk’s principles and revolutions and the basic principles of the Republic, respectful not only to their country and culture but also to universal values as well. BAU forms an environment to produce information and knowledge to be benefited by the country and the world, to share it with both the society and the science world for the wealth and well-being of humanity. BAU is well aware of its responsibilities for both Turkish Higher Education and science world. It fulfills the requirements of a modern institution of education with 25 000 students, 650 members of academic staff.
BAU is also aware that it is not only enough for a modern university to provide education of high quality but also to produce science and technology. The students are encouraged to participate in social, cultural and sports activities. The administration and academic personnel of the university support and direct a variety of extracurricular activities.
BAU aims at meeting academic and research needs of students, academic and administrative staff and of the society to enhance scientific productivity with modern libraries, increasing the number and quality of undergraduate programs and scientific studies.
Çağış Campus The units listed below are all located on the main Çağış Campus, which lies on the outskirts of the city. Buses and minibuses provide regular services to Çağış Campus from the city center between the hours 07:00 and 23:00.
Rectorate building, with administrative departments Faculty of Engineering and Architecture Faculty of Sciences and Arts School of Tourism and Hotel Management Balıkesir Vocational School Central Library Main Sports Hall Graduate School of Science Graduate School of Social Sciences
NEF Campus NEF Campus, located in the center of the town, was the original site of the university. The units listed below are all located on this campus: Faculty of Education, School of Physical Education and Sports Teaching. NEF Conference Hall, Halil İnalcık Conference Hall Sports Hall University Fitness Center Outdoor sports facilities Continuing Education Center (BAUSEM)
Balıkesir is easily accessible on Turkey's most travelled road, linking the metropolises of İstanbul and İzmir.
- Hülya Avşar - Actress, singer, producer from Ayvalık
- Fikret Hakan - Actor from Balıkesir
- Imam Birgivi - Muslim scholar from Balıkesir
- Zağanos Pasha - Ottoman military commander from Balıkesir
- Ömer Seyfettin - Renowned writer from Gönen
- Mehmet Çoban - Olympian Greco-Roman wrestler from Balıkesir
- Kurtdereli Mehmet Pehlivan - World famous oilwrestler from Balıkesir
- Olcan Adın - Galatasaray SK soccer player from Balıkesir
- Caner Erkin - Fenerbahçe SK soccer player from Edremit
- Egemen Korkmaz - Fenerbahçe SK soccer player from Balıkesir
- Oğuz Savaş - Fenerbahçe Ülker basketball player from Balıkesir
- Tülin Altıntaş - Fenerbahçe Acıbadem volleyball player from Balıkesir
- Tolga Altıntaş - Galatasaray SK volleyball player from Balıkesir
- Cengizhan Kartaltepe - Fenerbahçe Istanbul volleyball player from Bandırma
- Uğur Tütüneker - former Galatasaray SK soccer player from Balıkesir
- Vedat İnceefe - former Galatasaray SK soccer player from Bandırma
- Yağız Engin - famous Kebapçı from Balıkesir
- Turkish Statistical Institute, MS Excel document – Population of province/district centers and towns/villages and population growth rate by provinces
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Balikesir Province.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Balıkesir Province.|
- (in Turkish) Balıkesir governor's official website
- (in Turkish) Balıkesir municipality's official website
- (in English) Balıkesir weather forecast information
- General information
- Balıkesir Tourism Introduction
- Local tv channel
- Balıkesir University
- (in English) Pictures of the capital of Balıkesir province