|Region||Central East Anatolia|
|• Electoral district||Muş|
|• Governor||İlker Gündüzöz|
|• Total||8,196 km2 (3,164 sq mi)|
|• Density||50/km2 (130/sq mi)|
Muş Province (Turkish: Muş ili, Armenian: Մուշի մարզ, Kurdish: Parêzgeha Mûşê) is a province in eastern Turkey. It is 8,196 km2 in area and has a population of 406,886 according to a 2010 estimate, down from 453,654 in 2000. The provincial capital is the city of Muş. Another town in Muş province, Malazgirt (Manzikert), is famous for the Battle of Manzikert of 1071.
The province is considered part of historical Western Armenia. Before Armenian genocide, the area was part of the Six Armenian Vilayets. The province is considered part of Turkish Kurdistan and has a Kurdish majority. İlker Gündüzöz was appointed Governor of the province by the Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in October 2018.
Muş province is divided into 6 districts (capital district in bold):
Historically, Muş was known for producing wheat. The province also grew madder, but locals retained it, using it for dye. The area also had salt mines. As of 1920, the region had so much salt that it was said to have enough to supply Europe and Asia.
- "Population of provinces by years - 2000-2018". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Li Mûşê heta 15 rojan hemû çalakî hatin qedexekirin" (in Kurdish). Rûdaw. 4 November 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- Myhill, John (2006). Language, Religion and National Identity in Europe and the Middle East: A historical study. Amsterdam: J. Benjamins. p. 32. ISBN 978-90-272-9351-0.
- İsmail Soysal, Türkiye'nin Siyasal Andlaşmaları, I. Cilt (1920-1945), Türk Tarih Kurumu, 1983, p. 14.
- Verheij, Jelle (2012). Jongerden, Joost; Verheij, Jelle (eds.). Social Relations in Ottoman Diyarbekir, 1870–1915. Brill. p. 88. ISBN 978-90-04-22518-3
- Watts, Nicole F. (2010). Activists in Office: Kurdish Politics and Protest in Turkey (Studies in Modernity and National Identity). Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 167. ISBN 978-0-295-99050-7.
- "Kurds, Kurdistān". Encyclopaedia of Islam (2 ed.). BRILL. 2002. ISBN 978-90-04-16121-4.
- "Valimiz". www.mus.gov.tr. Archived from the original on 2015-05-26. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- Prothero, W.G. (1920). Armenia and Kurdistan. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 60.
- Prothero, W.G. (1920). Armenia and Kurdistan. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 62.
- Prothero, W.G. (1920). Armenia and Kurdistan. London: H.M. Stationery Office. p. 71.