|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The Asansol-Durgapur region is composed of undulating latterite region. This area lies between two mighty rivers – the Damodar and the Ajay. They flow almost parallel to each other in the region – the average distance between the two rivers is around 30 km. For ages the area was heavily forested and infested with plunderers and marauders. The discovery of coal led to industrialisation of the area and most of the forests have been cleared.
As per 2011 Census of India Chapui had a total population of 5,358 of which 2,873 (54%) were males and 2,485 (46%) were females. Population below 6 years was 590. The total number of literates in Chapui was 3,649 (76.53% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001[update] India census, Chapui had a population of 5,185. Males constitute 55% of the population and females 45%. Chapui has an average literacy rate of 59%, lower than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 71% and female literacy of 46%. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Collieries in the Satgram Area of Eastern Coalfields are: Kalidaspur, J.K.Nagar, Satgram, Ratibati, Chapui Khas, Mithapur, Nimcha, Jemehari, Pure Searsole, Tirath, Kuardih, Ardragram OCP and Seetaldasji OCP.
Chapui has four primary school.
Handicrafts: Kantha Stitch work, Wood carvings and Jute-based products
- Chattopadhyay, Akkori, Bardhaman Jelar Itihas O Lok Sanskriti (History and Folk lore of Bardhaman District.), (Bengali), Vol I, pp 14-15, Radical Impression. ISBN 81-85459-36-3
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 18 February 2017.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Model Simulation Study of Coal Mining Under River beds in India
- "Coalmining impact on the Enviroment" (PDF). Chapter V: Table 5.2. shodganga.infibnet. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- 7th All-India School Education Survey 2003