||This article possibly contains original research. (January 2013)|
The Dadheech Brahmins are a subgroup of Brahmins who are the descendants of Rishi Dadhichi, who is said to have given his bones to indra for making of the vajra, the mythological weapon created to kill the demon vritra/virtrasur. A temple of Dadheechi's sister Dadhimati is found in the village Goth Manglod, Nagaur, Rajasthan. They are most ancient among Brahmins of the Marwad region and elsewhere.
They are mostly found in Rajasthan region; a large part of the society has even migrated to other parts of world. They can have surnames like Jopat, Asopa, Kakda, Borayada, Patodya, Khatod, Rattawa, Dadheech, Kudal, Dayama, Joshi, dahima, sharma, mishra, tiwari, Vyas, Bheda, Palod, (kakra) (Sunthwal) (Kudal) etc.
They belong to six groups of Brahmins.
- Dadheech Brahmins
- Pareek Brahmins
- Sikhwal or Sukhwal Brahmins, also called Shringi Brahmins
- Saraswat Brahmins
- Gujar Gaud Brahmins
- Khandelwal Brahmins
List of common gotras
- Gautam -patodhya,palod,nawal,kumbhya,kanth,budadhara,khatod,budsuna,bagadiya,vedvant,
- Vats- Jopat, ratava,koliwal,baldawa,rolanya,cholsankhya,itodhya,polgala,nosara,namawal,
- Bhardwaj-pedwal,shukl,karesya,asopa,lyali,barmota,indorwal,harsodiya,bhataly,gadiya,solyani, upadhyay
- Bhargav - inaniya,jajhodiya,prathanya,kasalya,shilnodhya,kuradya,khebar,bisawa,ladanwa,badagana,kapdodya
- Kashyapa - borayada,derolya,namwal,shirgota,rajthala,badawa,balaya,cholakhya
- Shandilya- rinwa,bediya,bahad,dahwal
- Atrey -sunthwal,jujnodya,dubanya,sukalya,
- Garga- tulachhya
- Mamm - anachar se mlechh(apavitra) ho gaye
- Dadhimati mata is kuldevi of Dadhich brahmins situated on didwana road near rol village of nagaur dist. in rajasthan.
|This article about an Indian ethnicity or social group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|