||This article possibly contains original research. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dadhichi Tree The Dadheech Brahmins are a subgroup of Brahmins who are the descendants of Rishi Dadhichi, who is said to have given his bones to Indra for making of the vajra, the mythological weapon created to kill the demon Vritra. A temple of Dadhichi's sister, Dadhimati, is found in the village of Goth Manglod, Nagaur, Rajasthan. They are most ancient among Brahmins of the Marwad region and elsewhere.
Sage Dadheechi is a legend in the first mandala of rigveda, and there are references of him visiting the sindu, sarswati area.[where?] Some section of Sarswat Brahmins also trace their origin from him.
They are mostly found in Rajasthan region but a large part of the society has migrated to other parts of world. Common surnames include Jopat, Asopa, Kakda, Borayada, Patodya, Khatod, Rattawa, Dadheech, Kudal, Dayama, Joshi, dahima, sharma, mishra, tiwari, Vyas, Bheda, Palod, (kakra) (Sunthwal) (Kudal) etc.
They are one of six groups of Brahmins, of which the other five are:
- Pareek Brahmins
- Sikhwal or Sukhwal Brahmins, also called Shringi Brahmins
- Saraswat Brahmins
- Gujar Gaud Brahmins
- Khandelwal Brahmins
- Gautam - patodhya, palod, nawal, kumbhya, kanth, budadhara, khatod, budsuna, bagadiya, vedvant, vanansidara, lelodhya, kakda, gangvani, bhuwal, bhabhda
- Vats - Jopat, ratava, koliwal, baldawa, rolanya, cholsankhya, itodhya, polgala, nosara, namawal, ajmera, kukda, taranwa, avadig, didel, musya, mang Nagvan, Maratha
- Bhardwaj - pedwal, shukl, karesya, asopa, lyali, barmota, indorwal, harsodiya, bhataly, gadiya, solyani, upadhyay
- Bhargav - inaniya, jajhodiya, prathanya, kasalya, shilnodhya, kuradya, khebar, bisawa, ladanwa, badagana, kapdodya
- Kotchs - didwanya, mandodya, dhavdodya, jatalya, doba, mundel, manajwal, sosi, gothecha, kudal, tetrawal
- Kashyapa - borayada, derolya, namwal, shirgota, rajthala, badawa, balaya, cholakhya
- Shandilya - rinwa, bediya, bahad, dahwal
- Atrey - sunthwal, jujnodya, dubanya, sukalya
- Parasar - bheda, parasar
- Kapil - chipada
- Garga - tulachhya
- Mamm - anachar se mlechh (apavitra) ho gaye
- Dadhimati mata is kuldevi of Dadhich brahmins situated on didwana road near rol village of nagaur dist. in rajasthan.
|This article about an Indian ethnicity or social group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|