Location of Esenyurt in Istanbul
|• Mayor||Necmi Kadıoğlu (AKP)|
|• Governor||Halil Uyumaz|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Esenyurt is a district of the Istanbul Province and is a part of the metropolitan municipality of Istanbul. Located in the European side of Istanbul, Esenyurt borders with Avcılar and Lake Küçükçekmece on the east, Büyükçekmece on the west, Başakşehir, Arnavutköy and TEM road on the north and Beylikdüzü and E-5 motorway on the south. The district covers an area of 2.770 hectares and has its own municipality since 1989.
With the construction boom of large residential complexes in the area in the past few years, Esenyurt benefited from a major development. It now has four cultural centres, which are Esenyurt Cultural Centre, Saadetdere Cultural Centre, Yenikent Cultural Centre and Yunus Balta Cultural Centre. Four parks built in Esenyurt (Recep Tayip Erdoğan Park, Şehitler Park, Gaziler Park and Kadir Topbaş Park) are also situated among the complexes.
The district is mainly built on the land owned by Ekrem Ömer Paşa in the 19th century. The name Esenyurt drives from one of the land owners Eşkinoz. The area received migration from Romania and Bulgaria between 1920 and 1938, and had more recent migration mainly from Ardahan and Kars, as well as Erzurum and Artvin.
Esenyurt is a popular residential area due to the brand new properties and affordable property prices compared with Istanbul centre. Esenyurt is home to the Istanbul Esenyurt University, while being very close to Beykent University, Fatih University, Istanbul Arel University, Istanbul University and Istanbul Gelişim University. TUYAP Exhibition and Conference Centre is only 5km away from Esenyurt centre, while it is 26km away from the Istanbul Atatürk Airport. Shopping facilities are mainly gathered around shopping centres rather than individual shops along the streets. Esenyurt has three shopping centres, which are Eskule Shopping Centre, Torium Shopping Centre and Akbatı AVM.
Public buses to/from Esenyurt
- 142E Esenyurt Incirtepe - Aksaray
- 142K Esenyurt Kiptaş 4. Etap- 5. Etap- Avcılar
- 142T Esenyurt Public Hospital - TUYAP Exhibition and Conference Centre
- 429 Kıraç - Yenibosna Metro
Metrobus lines to/from Esenyurt
- 34B Beylikdüzü - Avcılar
- 34BZ Beylikdüzü - Zincirlikuyu
- 34C Beylikdüzü - Cevizlibağ
- 34G Beylikdüzü - Söğütlüçeşme (night service)
The mayor is Necmi Kadıoğlu of the AKP.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
|This geographical article about a location in Istanbul Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|