Fag Rag was a Boston based gay newspaper, published from 1971 until the early 1980s. Boston's gay writers including Larry Martin, Charley Shively and John Mitzel formed the Fag Rag Collective and started the publication. In its early years the subscription list was between 400 and 500 with an additional 4,500 copies sold on newsstands and bookstores or given away. During its run, Fag Rag published interviews with and writing by William S. Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, Christopher Isherwood, John Wieners, Allen Young, Gerard Malanga, John Rechy, Ned Rorem, and Gore Vidal. 
- D'Entremont, Jim. "Pilgrims' progress : Boston's gay history". Archived from the original on 2016-02-03.
- Bronski, Michael. "John Mitzel:a remembrance".
- Downs, Jim (2016). Stand by me: the forgotten history of Gay liberation. Basic Books. ISBN 9780465032709.
- Moore, Patrick (2004). Beyond Shame: Reclaiming the Abandoned History of Radical Gay Sexuality. Beacon Press. pp. 6–11. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- Wachsberger, Ken (April 1, 2012). Insider Histories of the Vietnam Era Underground Press, Part 2. MSU Press. Retrieved July 30, 2015.