Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Kaleshwaram, Bhupalpally, Telangana, India|
|Purpose||Irrigation, power, and transport|
|Operator(s)||Telangana Irrigation Department|
|Dam and spillways|
|Height||up to top of earth dam above the lowest river bed.|
|Spillway type||Chute spillway|
Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project previously known as (Pranahita-Chevella Lift Irrigation Project) is an under-construction multi-purpose irrigation project on the Godavari River in Kaleshwaram, Bhoopalpally, Telangana, India. Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project starts at the confluence point of Pranhita River and Godavari River i.e, at Kaleshwaram village in Telangana. Pranahita river in itself is a confluence of various other smaller tributaries like Wardha, Penganga and Wainganga Rivers. It is estimated that Pranahita river has an annual average flow of 280 TMC. It remains untapped as its course is principally through the dense forests and other ecologically sensitive zones such as wild life sanctuaries.
Kaleshwaram Project is divided into ‘7’ links and ‘28’ packages covering about 500 km of 13 districts and a canal network of about 1,800 km. Project aims to utilise a total of 240 TMC (195 TMC from Medigadda barrage + 20 from Sripada Yellampalli Project + 25 TMC from groundwater). Of this 240 TMC, water has been divided as 169 TMC is for irrigation, 30 TMC for Hyderabad, 10 TMC for drinking water in villages along the project, 16 TMC for industries and 12 TMC is estimated evaporation losses. The project aims to create a new ayacut of 18.25 lakh acres in 13 districts and stabilisation of existing ayacut of 18.82 lakh acres.
- Existing Online balancing reservoirs1. Sripada Yellampalli Project - 20.175 TMC 2. Mid-Manair Dam - 25.875 TMC 3. Upper-Manair Reservoir - 2.20 TMC 4. Kadam Project - 7.60 TMC 5. Masani Tank - 0.13 TMC - TOTAL - 55.98 TMC
- Proposed Online storage reservoirs1. Barrage at Medigadda with FRL 100.0 m - 16.17 TMC 2. Barrage at Annaram with FRL 120.0 m - 11.9 TMC 3. Barrage at Sundilla with FRL 130.0 m - 5.11 TMC 4. Medaram Online storage - 0.78 TMC 5. Ananthagiri Online storage - 3.50 TMC 6. Sri Ranganayaka Sagar (Imamabad Online storage) - 3.00 TMC 7. Sri Komaravelli Mallanna Sagar (Tadkapally) - 50.00 TMC 8. Malkapet Online storage - 3.00 TMC 9. Konda Pochamma Online storage (Pamulaparthy) - 7.00 TMC 10. Amarlabanda Online storage - 5.00 TMC 11. Katchapur - 2.50 TMC 12. Thimmakka Palli - 3.00 TMC 13. Issaipet - 2.50 TMC 14. Bhoompally Online storage - 0.09 TMC 15. Gujjal Online storage - 1.50 TMC 16. Katewadi Online storage - 5.00 TMC 17. Mothe Online storage - 2.90 TMC 18. Kondem Cheruvu - 3.50 TMC 19. Gandamalla Online storage - 9.87 TMC 20. Baswapuram Online storage - 11.39 TMC — TOTAL - 147.71 TMC
- Links & Irrigated Command Area/Ayacut (Acres)Link-I : From Medigadda Barrage on Godavari River to Sripada Yellampalli Project (30,000 acres) Link-II : From Sripada Yellampalli Project to Mid Manair Dam Link-III : From Mid Manair Dam to Upper Manair Reservoir (86,150 acres) Link-IV : From Mid Manair Dam to Konda Pochamma Reservoir (595,754 acres) Link-V : From Anicut to Chityala (243,500 acres) Link-VI : From Sri Komaravelli Mallanna Sagar to Singur Dam (280,296 acres) Link-VII : From SRSP Foreshore to Nizam Sagar Canals and to Dilawarpur and Hangarga village for Nirmal and Mudhole Constituency (590,000 acres) TOTAL - 1,825,700 acres (New ayacut) Apart from - 1,875,000+ acres (Stabilisation of existing ayacut)
- Gravity Canals & Tunnels for distribution1. Gravity Canal - 1,531 km 2. Gravity Tunnel - 203 km 3. Pressure Mains/ Delivery Mains - 98 km
Water is to be reverse pumped from the confluence point of Godavari and Pranhita Rivers to Sripada Yellampalli Project with the help of 3 barrages (Medigadda, Annaram and Sundilla) and 3 lifts.
At present, lifts are being commissioned with provision to lift 2 TMC (56,63,36,93,184 litres)[clarification needed] of water per day from Medigadda. The water is lifted to backwaters of Annaram barrage. Again from Annaram barrage to Sundilla barrage. Finally from Sundilla to Sripada Yellampalli Project. Civil works are being executed to lift 3 TMC per day but pumps are being installed to lift only 2 TMC. If need be, only pumps would need to be installed to increase capacity by one more TMC.
Link-II : From Sripada Yellampalli Project to Mid Manair Dam
A new balancing reservoir is also being proposed in the outskirts of Hyderabad of 20–30 TMC to store water. The water will be supplied to this balancing reservoir in the same link.
Link-V : From Anicut to Chityala
From Anicut, a series of gravity canals and a small tunnel of 1.2 km are planned to transfer water to Gandamalla Reservoir and Baswapuram Reservoir. Thereafter, gravity canals are planned towards Chityal Mandal and its villages.
Link-VI : From Sri Komaravelli Mallanna Sagar to Singur Dam
From Sri Komaravelli Mallanna Sagar, another sequence of gravity canals, tunnels and lifts are used to transfer water to Singur Dam. Apart from that, if need be, water can be transferred to Nizam Sagar Project and from there, to SRSP.
Link-VII : From SRSP Foreshore to Nizam Sagar Canals and to Dilwapur and Hangarga village for Nirmal and Mudhole Constituency
From the foreshore waters of SRSP, water will be transferred to reservoirs at Hangarga and Dilwapur villages. Apart from this, existing reservoirs like Masani Tank and kondem Cheruvu will also be linked. Canals under Nizam Sagar will also be irrigated.
Combine the links and here you have one of a kind infrastructure project.
- "Why is Telangana's Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project important?". The Hindu. 2017-07-01. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "What is the Kaleshwaram project? - Quora". www.quora.com. Retrieved 2018-12-11.