Public holidays in Indonesia
The following table indicates declared Indonesian government national holidays for the year 2018 only—cultural variants also provide opportunity for holidays tied to local events. Beside official holidays, there are the so-called "libur bersama" or "cuti bersama", or joint leave(s) declared nationwide by the government. In total there are 15 public holidays, and 9 "cuti bersama" or joint holidays.
2018 public holidays
|Date (Gregorian calendar)||Date (Religious calendar)||English name||Local name||Remarks|
|1 January||New Year's Day||Tahun Baru Masehi||New Year of Gregorian calendar|
|16 February||Chinese New Year||Tahun Baru Imlek||1st day of 1st month of Chinese calendar. Public holiday since 2003|
|17 March||Kasa 1 Pawukon 40||Day of Silence||Hari Raya Nyepi, Tahun Baru Saka||New Year of the Balinese saka calendar. Public holiday since 1983|
|30 March||Good Friday||Wafat Isa Almasih, Jumat Agung||Date varies; the Friday before Easter Sunday (the first Sunday after the first Paschal Full Moon following the vernal equinox)|
|14 April||Rajab 27||Ascension of the Prophet||Isra Mi'raj Nabi Muhammad||Date varies according to the Islamic calendar|
|1 May||Labour Day||Hari Buruh Internasional||Public holiday since 2014|
|10 May||Ascension of Jesus Christ||Kenaikan Isa Almasih||Date varies|
|29 May||Every May of Vaisakha||Buddha's Birthday||Hari Raya Waisak||Date varies according to the Buddhist calendar. Public holiday since 1983|
|1 June||Pancasila Day||Hari Lahir Pancasila||Public holiday since 2017,|
marks the date of Sukarno's 1945 address on the national ideology
|15-16 June||Shawwal 1-2||Eid al-Fitr||Hari Raya Idul Fitri (Lebaran Mudik)||Date varies according to the Islamic calendar|
|17 August||Independence Day||Hari Ulang Tahun Kemerdekaan Republik Indonesia||Anniversary of the proclamation of independence read by Mr. Soekarno and Mr. Hatta in 1945|
|22 August||Dhu al-Hijjah 10||Feast of the Sacrifice||Hari Raya Idul Adha (Lebaran Haji)||Date varies according to the Islamic calendar|
|11 September||Muharram 1||Islamic New Year||Tahun Baru Islam 1440 Hijriah||1st day of the Muharram, the beginning of the New Islamic year|
|20 November||Rabi' al-awwal 12||Birth of the Prophet||Maulid Nabi Muhammad||Birthday of the Islamic prophet Muhammad|
|25 December||Christmas||Hari Raya Natal|
In addition to the official holidays, many religious, historical, and other traditional holidays populate the calendar, as well as observances proclaimed by officials and lighter celebrations. These are rarely observed by businesses as holidays.
|Date (Gregorian calendar)||English name||Local name||Year established||Remarks|
|Dates vary||Galungan and Kuningan||Galungan dan Kuningan|
|Dates vary||Lantern Festival||Cap Go Meh||"Ending of 15th days celebration of Chinese New Year"|
|3 January||Ministry of Religious Affairs Day||Hari Kementerian Agama Republik Indonesia||The founding of the Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs in 1946.|
|15 January||Ocean Duty Day / Day of the Sea and Ocean Event||Hari Dharma Samudera / Hari Peristiwa Laut dan Samudera||Commemorate the services and sacrifices of those who died in various battles at sea. The day is the date of the Battle of Arafura Sea in 1962.|
|25 January||Food and Nutrition Day / National Nutrition Day||Hari Gizi dan Makanan / Hari Gizi Nasional||The day of the founding of dietetic school Sekolah Djuru Penerang Makanan on 25 January 1951 by Poorwo Soedarmo.|
|6 April||National Fisherman Day||Hari Nelayan Nasional|
|9 April||Air Force Day||Hari Jadi TNI Angkatan Udara||1950||Honors the active and reserve serving men and women and veterans of the Indonesian Air Force|
|21 April||Kartini Day||Hari Kartini||"Women Emancipation Day". The birthday of Kartini, an Indonesian women's rights activist.|
|22 April||Earth Day||Hari Bumi|
|2 May||National Education Day||Hari Pendidikan Nasional||1959||In remembrance of Ki Hajar Dewantara's birthday, a prominent Indonesian educator.|
|11 May||Day of the Military Police of the Indonesian National Armed Forces||Hari POM TNI|||
|20 May||Indonesian Doctor Day||Hari Bakti Dokter Indonesia||2008||Established by Ikatan Dokter Indonesia (Indonesian Doctor Society) in 2008 to commemorate the 1908 formation of the Budi Utomo by the native doctors of the STOVIA.|
|20 May||National Awakening Day||Hari Kebangkitan Nasional||1985||In remembrance of the 1908 formation of the first nationalist group, Budi Utomo.|
|29 May||National Elderly Day||Hari Lanjut Usia Nasional||1996||The day was the date of the first plenary meeting of the Investigating Committee for Preparatory Work for Independence (BPUPKI) which was led by Rajiman Wediodiningrat who was 66 at the time of the event in 1945.|
|29 June||National Family Day||Hari Keluarga Nasional (Harganas)||2014|||
|22 July||Attorney Day||Hari Kejaksaan / Hari Bhakti Adhyaksa||1961||The establishment of the Indonesian Attorney as a stand-alone institution in 1960, previously a non-departmental institutions under the Department of Justice.|
|23 July||National Children Day||Hari Anak Nasional||1984|||
|10 August||National Veterans Day||Hari Veteran Nasional||2014|||
|23 September / 21 August(?)||National Maritime Day||Hari Maritim Nasional||1964||The proposal of 21 August as National Maritime Day (the day when the Indonesian independence fighter attacked the Japanese military storage in Pulau Nyamukan (Djamuan Riff), near Surabaya, on 21 August 1945) was disputed by the Association of Indonesian Marine Youth (APMI) because at that time the Indonesian Navy has not been formed. BKR Laut, the predecessor of the Indonesian Navy, was formed later on 10 September 1945. The 23 September date refers to the first (and last) Musyawarah Maritim in 1963, and actually has been established as National Maritime Day in 1964 during the tenure of Sukarno as the president of Indonesia but was overlooked by the recent government.|
|1 October||National Day of Pancasila Sanctity and 30 September Movement Memorial Day||Hari Kesakitan Pancasila||1967||Anniversary of the events of 30 September Movement of 1965 in which 6 Indonesian Army generals and a junior officer perished.|
|2 October||National Batik Day||Hari Batik Nasional||2009||The international designation of the Indonesian batik as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2009.|
|5 October||Indonesian National Armed Forces Day||Hari Tentara Nasional Indonesia||The 1945 founding of Tentara Keamanan Rakyat ("People's Security Armed Forces"), the predecessor of the TNI.|
|22 October||National Santri Day||Hari Santri Nasional||2015||The 1945 date of the declaration by Nahdlatul Ulama that the fight against the Dutch colonial forces was a holy war and obligatory for all Muslims following the declaration of the independence of Indonesia by Sukarno-Hatta.|
|28 October||Youth Pledge Day||Hari Sumpah Pemuda||1967||Commemoration of the 1928 Youth Pledge|
|30 October||Indonesian Banknote Day||Hari Oeang, Hari Keuangan Republik Indonesia||The printing of the first Oeang Republik Indonesia, the first 'Indonesian rupiah' bank note, in 1946.|
|10 November||Heroes' Day||Hari Pahlawan||Commemoration of the 1945 Battle of Surabaya|
|12 November||Father's Day||Hari Ayah||Established in 2006 following a suggestion by a group of women in Solo.|
|12 November||National Health Day||Hari Kesehatan Nasional||Marks the day when Sukarno officially begins the malaria eradication project by spraying DDT in the village of Kalasan (1959).|
|14 November||Mobile Brigade Day||Hari Brigade Mobil||Founding of the Mobile Brigade in 1946.|
|14 November||World Diabetes Day||Hari Diabetes Sedunia||International observance.|
|15 November||Indonesian Marine Corps Birthday||Hari Juang Korps Marinir||1951||Honors the active and reserve serving men and women and veterans of the Indonesian Marine Corps|
|13 December||Nusantara Day||Hari Nusantara||2001||The recognition of the boundary of the Indonesian archipelago, started with the announcement of the Deklarasi Djoeanda on 13 December 1957, which eventually leads to the recognition of the principles of the Nusantara in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea in 1982.|
|15 December||Indonesian Army Day||Hari Juang Kartika||Honors the active and reserve serving men and women and veterans of the Indonesian Army|
|22 December||Mother's Day||Hari Ibu||1959|
- Balinese saka calendar
- Islamic calendar - for further expansion on the months and days identified above
- Javanese calendar
- List of festivals in Indonesia
- "Hari-Hari Penting di Indonesia" [Important observances in Indonesia]. Sekretariat Kabinet Republik Indonesia. Sekretariat Kabinet Republik Indonesia. 3 July 2015. Archived from the original on 8 October 2016. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Penetapan Hari Bakti Dokter Indonesia" [The Establishment of the Indonesian Doctor Day]. Ikatan Dokter Indonesia. Ikatan Dokter Indonesia. 2017. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Ferry Agusta Satrio (29 May 2017). "29 Mei, Hari Lanjut Usia Nasional". Times Indonesia (in Indonesian). Times Indonesia. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Keppres no 39 tahun 2014
- 29 Juni Ditetapkan Sebagai Hari Keluarga Nasional Tapi Bukan Hari Libur
- Redaksi Jaksa Menyapa (22 July 2017). "Inilah Sejarah Hari Lahir Kejaksaan RI" [Here is the History of the Birth of the General Attorney of the Republic of Indonesia]. jaksa Menyapa. Jaksa Menyapa. Archived from the original on 25 October 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Keppres no 44 tahun 1984
- Keppres No. 30 Tahun 2014 (Lembaran Negara Republik Indonesia Tahun 2014 Nomor 188, Tambahan Lembaran Negara Republik Indonesia Nomor 5573)
- Keppres No. 249 Tahun 1964
- "APMI Gugat Pengusulan 21 Agustus sebagai Hari Maritim Nasional" [APMI Sues the Proposal of 21 August as National Maritime Day]. Maritime News (in Indonesian). Maritime News. 21 August 2016. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Keppres No. 33 Tahun 2009
- "Keppres No. 22 Tahun 2015". Kementerian Koordinator Bidang Pembangunan Manusia dan Kebudayaan. Kementerian Koordinator Bidang Pembangunan Manusia dan Kebudayaan. 2018. Archived from the original on 8 July 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- kemenkeu.go.id: History of Indonesian Money Archived 9 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine. accessed on 6 March 2015
- Nadya Isnaeni (12 November 2014). "Sejarah Lahirnya Hari Ayah Nasional (Story of the Origin of Father's Day)". Liputan 6 (in Indonesian). Liputan 6. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- "Hari Kesehatan Nasional" [National Health Day]. Pusat Promosi Kesehatan - Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia (in Indonesian). Direktorat Promosi Kesehatan dan Pemberdayaan Masyarakat. 2016. Archived from the original on 13 February 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Keppres no 126 tahun 2001
- Iwan Gayo (1991). Buku Pintar Seri Junior. Jakarta: Upaya Warga Negara. pp. 342–345.