Model road and Railway overbridge in Kollam Cantonment
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kollam|
|Civic agency||Kollam Municipal Corporation|
|Avg. summer temperature||34 °C (93 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||22 °C (72 °F)|
Kollam Cantonment (Malayalam: കൊല്ലം കന്റോണ്മെന്റ്) (originally Quilon Cantonment) is a residential neighbourhood in the city of Kollam. It arose as a cantonment of the British Raj in the 17th century. It is now a thickly populated area of the city of Kollam. Some of the important business centres, shopping complexes and Government offices are located here. Kollam Junction railway station is also located near to cantonment area.
Kollam(Quilon) was one of the trade hubs in British India. Kollam Port had trades history with Phoenicians, Arabs and Chinese etc. The city was conquered by Portuguese, Dutch and British people during 16th to 18th centuries. Considering the importance, a British garrison was stationed in Kollam which was subsequently reduced to a native regiment, as a protective force for the then Maharaja of the erstwhile state of Travancore. The garrison was situated at the Cantonment Maidan during those days.
Public/Private institutions situated at Kollam Cantonment area
The Kollam Corporation Town Hall, named the C. Kesavan Memorial Municipal Town Hall in the memory of C. Kesavan – a freedom fighter and former Chief Minister of erstwhile Travancore-Cochin state – is a decades-old building situated on the National Highway passing through the Cantonment. The building is now one of the main venues for several cultural events and meetings. Apart from the town hall, there are other buildings of note in the Cantonment area.
- Corporation office, Kollam
- Kollam Junction railway station
- Kollam Armed Reserve Police Force Camp (ARPF Camp)
- Kollam Public Library
- Sopanam Auditorium
- Sri Moolam Thirunal Palace(SMP Palace)
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Stadium
- Cantonment Maidan
- Kollam Passport Seva Kendra
- Bhima Jewellers
- Quilon Athletic Club(QAC)
- Kerala Water Authority Office
- Al-Manama Supermarket
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kollam Cantonment.|
- "Kollam cantonment - Pincodes.info". Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- Thangassery, Kollam - Kerala Tourism
- About the City of Kollam Archived 2015-06-02 at the Wayback Machine
- New proof for Pre-Portuguese mission in Kollam
- "Tourmet - Thangassery, Kollam". Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "History of Kollam". Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- A place in history - The Hindu
- "C. Kesavan's statue unveiled in Kollam". The Hindu. 14 June 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- Kumar, Udaya (2009). "Subjects of New Lives". In Ray, Bharati (ed.). Different Types of History. Pearson Education India. pp. 322–323. ISBN 9788131718186.
- "New rent for town hall to be ratified today". The Hindu. 16 June 2007. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
- "A bridge to bypass choking traffic". The Hindu. 19 January 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2017.
|This article related to a location in Kollam district, Kerala, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|